Davepar

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to install the baffle air seals, and have a couple questions:

1. I'm planning on one piece along the back, one on each side, and one at the front. Should I be placing a seam along the sides where the baffles themselves come apart? Are other seams needed (especially along the front) in order for the seal to fold over properly?

2. I read somewhere that 2" above the baffle wall is a good starting place. Is 1" below good enough for attaching them?

3. I'm planning on using the standard Vans baffle seal material and standard pop rivets. I guess some people aren't happy with the puckering around the rivets. Are there any tricks for reducing that?

Thanks,
Dave

baffle

:) Good luck I just completed my baffle on a TMX IO360 and it was one of the hardest parts of my 6 slow build project.

I made them tall and trimmed once I clecoed to the aluminum.
It looks like the back is about 2 inches and the sides about 2.25 onc inches is good below the baffle.

I made a doubler that covers the material where it touches the baffle. Rivet thru the doubler, material, baffle. No puckers. Mine also has between 2" and 2.25" extending up. Better long and trim than too short and having lots of gaps or blowing thru backwards.

I also used poster board to determine the size and shape of the material before I started cutting. I was able to pull the material down and form it so the material naturally lays in, instead of standing straight up.... if that make any sense. (man, this stuff is hard to describe. Wish I had a digital camera!)

Karl