Brantel

Well Known Member
I see conflicting info on the average size that people end up drilling their main jets on the 10-3878 MA-4-5 carbs for the side by side RV's.

It is my understanding that the 10-3878 has a #32 main jet from the factory correct?

Seems that most end up with as big as #28 but some say that may be too big. So what is the best size to shoot for?

Next question I asked in another thread but due to the title, I don't think the right people are looking at it...

Where do I get parts like new locking washers, main jet washer, gaskets etc?

Also I know that this carb has the metal float. The SB trail shows originally they said to dump the metal float and go to the hollow plastic one, then they say dump the hollow plastic one and go with the metal one, now they say dump the metal one and go with the foam filled one.

Where does one get the new foam filled float and is this something I can just swap out without having problems? This carb is a new reman/rebuild so it does not need anything else other than the new float so I hate to send it in and get charged an arm and a leg for that service.

Does anyone have an parts breakdown on these or a PDF of the service manual?

Should be there in a minute or so, large files... Good basic reference material even if your exact carb # doesn't show up, you can still understand a little about how these carbs work.

OK,

I now have PDF copies of both the service manual and the parts breakdown.

Darrell also sent me several documents for various related information.

The service manual for the MA-4-5 I found on the web.

The parts breakdown for the MA-4-5 believe it or not came from Kelly Aerospace. All I did was email them and they sent it to me.

If anyone wants these, just let me know.

Last edited:
prop

Brian,
What prop are you going to use?
What elevation airport are you going to fly from mostly?
Assuming you are using a 360.....carbed, any other mods from normal?

Hey Bob,

I will use the Metal FP Sen. from Vans for the RV7 & O-360

1313ft at KMOR

Bone stock carbed O-360

carb jet

Brian
Before you drill that jet, why don't you fly the plane first.
The reason I say this, is because I purchased a 3878 carb from Bob's friend via this forum. I have had a 3878 carb on an O-360/hartzell RV6A. I have had a 4164 carb on 2, 0-360/hartzell RV8's. They all have run at the same temps.

A mile long taxi after startup on an 80 deg. day will yield 300 deg. CHT's at takeoff.
Full throttle/2600 rpm climbout will yield 400 - 435 + deg at 100 KIAS

Lower the nose to climb at 125 KIAS gets your temps below 400 deg.'s

EGT's will run 1100 deg. range or about 300-400 below peak.

I will update this thread later this evening with a post about my results with this latest carb as my chase pilot has just called and said he is now available.

Heading to the airport now to make the maiden flight of RV8 #82689 N486JT

Here is some info

I see conflicting info on the average size that people end up drilling their main jets.

Where do I get parts like new locking washers, main jet washer, gaskets etc?

Also I know that this carb has the metal float.

Where does one get the new foam filled float and is this something I can just swap out without having problems?
There are a couple of threads on this. You see different oversize numbers because there are different engines and installations needing different jet tweaking. Even the same O-360 is different based on the accessories (pipes, ignition, airbox), condition & installation. A fast RV with a good air-box installation (no leaks), electronic ignition and "hot pipes" will almost always run lean in RVs, even with the richest carb or jet (nozzle) made.

Stock jets are not rich enough for most RV installation, even the Mooney "Nozzle Kit" (Jet) is too lean. That is why I suggest just drilling the stock jet. A Mooney nozzle kit is over $200. Don't waste your money on the jet kit.

Many RV'ers don't even know if they're running lean. Look at you plugs, if they are not grayish tan and more white, you're too lean. Do the 8K test I described below. http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

TEST FIRST THAN DRILL (Iteration) - You have to know if and how lean you are. Have you done any in-flight lean test? May need to go up one may be two drill sizes, than re-test. If you need more, than go another size up. In general two no more than three drill size increase will work for most.

TEST
Go to 8,000 feet (DA), WOT, full rich, level flight let the speed stabilize, than lean and note EGT increase to peak, where EGT starts to drop again. YOU NEED AT LEAST 150F +/- 25F. 125F is too lean, and 175F is about right just starting to go on the too rich side. **

ITERATION
You might find that EGT rise is about 125F to peak. Based on that you may elect to keep it stock or oversize one drill # for your 1st iteration. If you are way to lean you might need 3 drill size numbers OVER the stock size. I suggest never increasing more than two steps at a time. There's no formula for it, just experimentation. However you right about #28 is too much. There are other reasons to be too lean, one piece venturi (manufacture quality and not installed properly) and induction leaks.

The method of drilling and details are in my other post on the topic. It's not rocket science, its a brass tube with a hole in it. Granted its a metered hole in a "metal straw" sitting in a bowl of fuel. Simple suction draws the fuel. The MAIN jet is the only control at full throttle and full rich mixture. It may seem crude, but it's so simple and works, it's elegant.

PARTS
As far as parts, I have posted them before. You can get them at most aircraft parts suppliers. Go through your local FBO, see if they have or order it. That's what I did. The FBO had them on the shelf. Aviall has these parts but they don't sell retail, commercial accounts only. Spruce A/C might have it. I doubt Precision will sell them to you direct, but give them a call. Not sure on the status of the new company taking over the Carb Parts line. There's also Kelly Aerospace; they make many STC parts for the MS Carbs.

parts to take the carb bowl and jet off and re-install with new parts
(6) 78-A97 Lock tabs ($3.42)
(1) 16-A31 Gasket ($5.73)
(1) 16-A30 nozzle gasket/lock tab ($4.73)
(1) 16-A42 Jet Tab ($3.38)
(1) 666-1002--F FLOAT KIT, LARGE MA ($184.86) (latest greatest composite float, comes with some above parts)

() List price.

(if you have a new carb the gasket can be reused. Some times the bowl tabs can be reused. I would not reuse the jet lock tab, simply because I don't want any metal parts floating around. The bowl lock tabs can be visually checked when the cowl is off. A single lose bowl screw is not supercritical. The bowl screws do tend to work lose since the air-box hangs off the bowl. If you have too tight seals with cowl/air box it can work on the bowl.)

"Also I know that this carb has the metal float. The SB trail shows originally they said to dump the metal float and go to the hollow plastic one, then they say dump the hollow plastic one and go with the metal one, now they say dump the metal one and go with the foam filled one."
Yes there have been several iterations. Metal is fine, just check it. The newest of new is or was a solid composite float made by Precision. With their getting out of the Carb Line who knows. As I said Kelly Aerospace has the old line of metal floats made by Faucet. They are still selling New Old Stock. Precision floats? I just don't know the status of the availability. IF you have metal stick with it. Check it for leaks, check the needle seat for wear and the hinge for wear. Unless you have a very old carb with original metal float or original composite float (which was a disaster) than use what you have. If you have true doubts than replace the float with the latest metal or composite float. There was also a two to one piece venturi. That one piece due to manufacturing error and poor installation can cause the carb to be lean. Check the SB and installation of you have one piece venturi. If you have two piece venturi and its not lose, keep it.​

Last edited:
There is a SB for the new float, but I'm sticking with the metal float we got in our 3 year old brand new precision MA4-5.

fuel inlet strainer gasket part no

ACS p/n/ 07-06603 or mfgr p/n CF16-A48

These are tough to reuse, between tabs breaking and potential fuel leaks.

I also have a 3878 MA4-5 carb, O-360/Hartzell. Most ops fm SL in South FL, but higher OATs of course. A couple thoughts...

WOT has enrichment feature. Consider waiting 'till nose over, better cowl air flow, before pulling pwr back on hot days.

Works for me...