riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello everyone and Happy New Year!! :cool:

Here's a few questions, probing the collective mind here. I know some will say to each its own, but I like different or differing opinions to make mine!!

Please bear with me, as I might over-think some things...

I searched around, found some answers but not enough to quiet some of my questions. :confused:

To summarise, the fuselage kit is on order and these were deleted:
the gear legs and its brackets (to replace with Grove Airfoiled Gear)
the large eyeball vents (to replace with aluminum ones)
the fuel valve (to replace with Andair)
the brake reservoir (to replace with Grove master cylinders w/ integral reservoir)
the tail wheel assembly (to replace with JDM or similar steering link type)

I'm seeking advice about these Baggage Tie Downs
For those who installed them, any comments?
In both baggage areas or not?
Any other options from other sellers/manufacturers?

I can't find in the preview drawings the hole size in the panel for the eyeball vents.
And I find these a bit steep in price compared to these but SteinAir proposes 2 sizes...
What would be the recommended one?

Are there any suggestions as to the installation and prefered fittings for the Andair fuel valve?
While I buy from Andair, I will purchase the fuel pump, filter and Gascolator.
One Gascolator or two (one for each tank)?

As for the Grove master cylinders with integrated reservoirs, with or without the integrated parking brake?
Are there any issues when installing them?
Anyone upgraded to Grove their wheels and brakes and why or why not?

I want to install a rear quadrant (will go with an aftermarket one for the front at least, Andair, Fatboyflightworks or another...).
Needing 3 levers up front, and thinking 3 levers in the rear also, I was wondering if pertinent and the challenges of installing it (fitting pushrods through the bulkhead, etc). Van's offers the single rear lever but I find it limiting. Might as well control all or nothing... (ATController quirk... :eek:)

Last question for now, nutplates.
Would the K 1000-06 with the 6R6 screws size be ok for the floors?

Any other suggestions???? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies!!!

Last edited:
Back seat quadrant

I am installing a back seat single lever quadrant. I can take some measurements for you but the formers along the side of the fuselage are not very wide. Cutting a slot wide enough for a three lever quadrant might compromise the integrity of the former. Same for 3 holes large enough to pass the pushrods.

I'm sure some well placed doublers or other appropriate reinforcing would solve this problem, but you will probably want to do something to restore some lost strength in the formers.

Let me know if you need some measurements.

DJM makes nice quadrants if you haven't already found his site.

Robert

Hi Eric

Some thoughts (but not advice!)... from 1000hrs+ RV-8, owned 2 RVs built and rebuilt one, now building RV-3 and copying ideas across. These suit me / our priorities:

the gear legs and its brackets (to replace with Grove Airfoiled Gear)
NB the airfoil gear, if you leave the AL exposed, needs good care. Every pit in it needs removing ASAP, or corrosion / cracks start. We've used the Grove standard gear - extra weight savings - albeit you need the glass fairings.

I'm seeking advice about these Baggage Tie Downs
I've not bothered with those. However, in the rear baggage area if you going to rivet the floor down, replace a number of the rivets with #8 holes and nutplates. You can then use Adel Clamps / #8 screws to replicate the tie downs. Front baggage cmpt not needed since all #8 screws anyway.

I can't find in the preview drawings the hole size in the panel for the eyeball vents
Consider as plans (?) the front vent not in the panel, but on the Left Gear Tower. It can then blast your body to keep cool, not just your face. The Expensive Vans ones are well worthwhile...

One Gascolator or two (one for each tank)?
We used their GAS375 as "Gascolator" (but plugged the drain up) / Fuel Filter. Mounted on the "mid cabin cover" brace so easily accessible to service.

I want to install a rear quadrant ... and thinking 3 levers in the rear
I would check with people if you really want 3 levers in the back? The rear seat is really passenger / fun flying position, not "full pilot". You have no brakes, marginal rudder control, little instrumentation. Only the brave would consider landing / takeoff from the rear. So I'd fit the rear throttle only (as per plans). It is very easy to catch a trouser leg on the rear throttle lever getting in/out - could be a problem with 3 levers there! I "coach" others in RV-8s with me in the rear - never wished for Mix/RPM control. The front seater needs to be up to flying and you just ask (shout) as required ;) Try and find someone who fitted 3 levers in the back, and after a few hundred hours still reckons it was needed/worthwhile?

Consider single lever throttle, and vernier Mix/Prop in the front. Gets rid of all the interference / friction issues, and allows really precise control v LOP etc. Used Andair throttle in RV-8 and (in build) RV-3, with verniers for other 2.

Would the K 1000-06 with the 6R6 screws size be ok for the floors?
I've never screwed them down, but riveted them. But either way, consider going K1100 / CS4-4 i.e. dimpled / countersunk for a cleaner finish, in some areas.

with or without the integrated parking brake?
RV-8 i.e. taildragger I do not fit a Park Brake. When we built I was new to taildraggers and insisted on one against my wife's advice. It was hardly used, a distinct hazard in a taildragger, and removed at next panel rebuild.

I'm running a fixed pitch prop and installed a 2 lever quadrant in the back. I substituted smaller, heavy wall steel tubing between the quadrants, tapped for the end fittings. It is a smaller diameter than aluminum to reduce the size of cut-out needed in the bulkheads. It's still a substantial cut-out to allow for end movement from the swing of the quadrant levers. I was comfortable with what I did, but it's up to you to ensure adequate structure remains in the bulkheads.

I have seen an aircraft where the builder used a 3 lever quadrant in the back. The third pushrod was inboard of the bulkhead, covered by a Z shaped guard. With credit to the builder, I took a picture of it in case I decided to go this way.

Last edited:
Great replies guys!!

Ron, Andy & Robert,

Many thanks for your replies, they really helped!!

Ron, thanks for the picture, it's a nice installation and a clever solution.
But following Andy's & Robert's posts, I'll go with a single level in the back.
I guess that if I really, really want a 3 lever in the back, a retrofit is always possible.

Andy, your call for K1100 nutplates instead of K1000 is a very good one!!!
Can you elaborate about the Parking Brake being a hazard for a TW?
Would it be in case of the P Brake wrongfully engaged prior to touch-down? :eek:

Now, after further search about Gascolators, I have a new question.
Still undecided/uninformed: one or two units?
Van's offer of the Andair Gacolator has Female Fittings.
Andair's site proposes Male, Female, Elbow, Banjo, hose & Banjo Hose fittings :eek:
Then Right to Left or Left to Right flows...
What would be the standard or best configuration in a RV-8 ?
And where would be the "Mid Cabin Cover Brace"?Found it ...!!! :)

Again, thanks to all for reading this and for your informative inputs!!!

Last edited:
Would it be in case of the P Brake wrongfully engaged prior to touch-down? :eek:

That is the primary reason I am not installing a parking brake. In my mind, a parking brake is just another potential failure point. I'm sure others probably feel differently. A couple of pieces of rope slung around the main tires will provide an improvised set of wheel chalks.

Would it be in case of the P Brake wrongfully engaged prior to touch-down?
is one case, albeit it's not great in a nose dragger either!

With a tail dragger, med-high power brakes on = tip over onto nose. Anything that might cause inadvertent, or "forgotten" brakes on = hazard. In a nosedragger you often do run-ups with the P Brake on - no way with a taildragger.

The only time you really want it is parking on seriously sloping ground which is rare. Just use a small chock under tailwheel, or better just park with the tailwheel on the grass ;)

Just my thoughts...