AdamF

I'm New Here
Hello Everyone!

My name is Adam Fox. I have to say this is one of the best organized online communities I have seen! Kudos to all of you who make this such a wonderful place.

I am seriously looking at building an RV. I believe I would like to build a -10. I am looking for a little bit of guidance from those who have went before me. Please answer as candid as you feel fit.

A little bit about me... My main purpose for the airplane once completed will be for vacation travel. I like to go to new destinations every chance I get, but can't stand the time it takes via car, and I have lost all patience for our commercial carrier system. I do not currently hold any pilot certification. I have spent lots of time flying with my father, who has had a ppl for over 20 years. So small aircraft are nothing new to me. I am an EAA member, travel to oshkosh when I can, and generally love everything about this great hobby.
I am an electrical engineer, 28 years old, divorced with no children. It's just me an Lucie (my giant schnauzer). I work in the medical industry as a manufacturing engineer, located in Warsaw Indiana. I design new automated systems and do some CNC programming as well. So I am familiar with making things from scratch. I have done extensive auto engine overhauls myself, and I am pretty good at doing everything at home without ever calling for help. I think I can technically handle building an RV myself.

My two questions are: 1) Is a -10 a good fit for me? I plan on going on my trips with friends/family. Not just myself. 2) Is a -10 too much for me to fly safely once it is complete? Considering I will be a low time pilot 100-200 hours by the time I finish it.

I have the income to be able to build it within 2 years if I choose to be that diligent.

Lastly, I am attending Sun N Fun this year. If anyone would like to take me for a ride in their RV, I would enjoy the experience. I hope with the feedback from this post, and a couple of rides, I can make the decision to order my kit while at Sun N Fun.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

-Adam

Hi

Hello Adam!
I will be in Northern Indiana in a couple of weeks and would be happy to give you a ride. But their are lots of good folks in you neck of the woods who I am sure would take you up, either way I will post a message when I head your way.
Best of Luck
P.S Build a 8 :D

AdamF said:
Hello Everyone!

My name is Adam Fox. I have to say this is one of the best organized online communities I have seen! Kudos to all of you who make this such a wonderful place.

I am seriously looking at building an RV. I believe I would like to build a -10. I am looking for a little bit of guidance from those who have went before me. Please answer as candid as you feel fit.

(snip)
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

-Adam

Hi Adam.

You'll get several opinions, but here's mine.

Building and operating an experimental is a "lifestyle" upheaval that people often underestimate.

If you know you're serious, and you have the income/resources to build a -10 over the next couple of years, then you also have the resources to buy a used "spam cam" right now and begin training.

Well used but serviceable aicraft like older Cessna 182s, Piper PA-28/180s, can be had for about what the radios and engine for a -10 will cost you. They are excellent trainers, and reasonably capable traveling machines.

If you spend a couple of years getting your ratings and building hours, you can decide if this is what you really want. You could simultaneously start building an airplane if you want, but personally I'd take it one step at a time.

If you buy an airplane right, you can probably get your money back out of it in a couple of years if your goals change, or you can sell it to finance your engine and avionics for your RV

"I am an electrical engineer, 28 years old, divorced with no children. It's just me an Lucie (my giant schnauzer)."

Well, with a "Giant schnauzer" you shouldn't have any trouble with finding another lady... sorry, couldn't help myself.

Why a 10? Do you think you need the extra weight/room? The cost of simple flying will be considerably more than a 7 or 9 also you won't get the ability to do aerobatics should you desire.

Steve

I'm building a -9 and will rent when I need more seats. I figure 90% of my flying will be me and a buddy scoping out cool fishing spots or getting expensive lunches.

Consider a 7 or 9

Hi Adam,

Several have given excellent advice. If you are interested in building seriously consider a 7A or 9A and start now building the tail. This will be a long journey and you can get going for a reasonable cost. If you decide building isn't for you you can easily sell the tools and parts with little loss.

Regarding the 10, that is a lot of airplane. Not only is it big bucks to build, your cost of operation and insurance will be much higher. I've heard of 10 builders paying $5K plus for insurance and they have lots of flying time and experience.

The 7 or 9 will get you anywhere you want to go quickly and efficiently.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Leeper said:
"I am an electrical engineer, 28 years old, divorced with no children. It's just me an Lucie (my giant schnauzer)."

Well, with a "Giant schnauzer" you shouldn't have any trouble with finding another lady... sorry, couldn't help myself............
Steve
ROTFLMAO!!!! That's great!

Now everyone in the room's wondering what's so funny!

Welcome aboard, Adam!

James summed up things really nicely. The -10 is a dream to fly and is a lot easier to land than my -6. Having said that I only had about 150 hours total when I started flying my -6, so don't let not having hundreds of hours under your belt deter you.

Scott McDaniels wrote a nice piece a few years back that I've referred several to (So you want to build an airplane.)

Don't worry about building the 'plane of your dreams' either - if you end up liking the build process (which I suspect you will) you will probably build another. Me, I'm thinking about starting a -4 now that I've been flying my -6 for 5 years. Why? Because it turned out I like the turn and burn and formation aspects more than I anticipated (and my wife doesn't like to fly as much and she anticipated). It's cool that we can adapt like this!

You can't go wrong with any choice you make - you'll be flying!!!!

Best,
Doug

Well Adam you are already ahead of me when I ordered and started building my -10. Note I had 0, zero, nil, nada, nothing in the way of flight. I guess I did ride in a T-37 for a half hour in 1984! Does that count? If you can read instructions and have access to builders around you to show you how to do things you can build a -10. If you don't have access to builders I would go to a workshop to build your tail kit. If you want to travel with friends the -10 is the way to go. There is so much more room in the -10. Head to Sun-n-Fun and get a ride in the -10. You probably can find a ride to Sun-n-Fun in an RV. I started lessons two months after I ordered my kit and finished three months later. I fly a Grumman Tiger now and have accumulated about 180 hours. The -10 seems to be an easy plane to fly and handles nicely. If you got the cash by a "spam can" like everybody has mentioned and build while you learn to fly. Good Luck and order the kit TODAY! If you don't like the -10 when you fly in it you can always sell the kit but I doubt you will want to sell it!

Fly and build

Adam,
You have lots of good advice already, but here's a different perspective - combining a couple of previous posts: buy a spam can now, (Warrior/Archer/172?) to build time and really learn your flying requirements. At the same time, you can build a -7 or -9 and see how you like the RV way of flying - all for around what you would spend for a -10. I originally thought the only thing I would build is a -10, but for me, it is out of my budget. When I really looked at how I fly, the 2 seater fits the bill perfectly for a much lower total cost of ownership. At the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with any of Van's kits. It'll be the 9A for me.

Not a 10..

There are three things in an airplane that send costs exponentially upwards..

1) More speed
2) More seats
3) Certified aircraft.

1) is sort of self explanatory

2) Everything gets bigger with more seats (assuming you don't want to lose performance...wings, engine, fuel consumption, insurance. Others have said that if you look at the time you'll really need those 4 seats its likely to be a pretty low percentage...But the high costs are still the same even if you fly thing by yourself...My Wife wanted me to build a 10 so "we could take our (poor) friends"....If you don't have any non flying friends the problem goes away...Besides I really don't want the personal liability of an extra 2 people.

3) is a bit of a nickel and dime thing, the cost of the annuals and maintenance that you will have to trust to your mechanic will cost a lot in the long run, but you can buy a pretty cheap certified 172/182 now.

Like others have mentioned I would get some time before you do the experimental thing...Phone an insurance broker and ask 'em what they would charge for a student pilot in an RV10.....Renting for a 100 hours or so might not look like such a bad option.

If it were me and Xcountry was my total thing...I'd build a 9a and let the friends drive!

Frank

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. I believe I am going to go the -7 or -10 route. I think I will know more after a couple of rides.

Oh, I have my first PPL training flight on Monday!

Have a great day, see you all at Sun N Fun.

-Adam

Hi Adam,

I like the idea of buying a used airplane to have something to fly during the years you are building, but you might want to consider a taildragger like a Citabria/Taylorcraft/SuperCub instead of a 172. Learn to use your rudder from the start!

Don't overlook the 9

After I get my 40 hours flown off, I can give you a comparison in the 9A. I'm down at OVO in southern Indiana. Van's people seem to like it for X-country work, although the 7 would do nicely.

Bob Kelly

First class seating in rows one and two

I'm building an -8 because I don't know three people who would fly with me. :D