Veetail88

Well Known Member
Hey gang, I'm struggling a bit about what to do with the intersection of flap to fuselage to flap fairing.

Here's what I've got. A bit different on the other side, but close.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I know I've got to bend the end of the flap up to meet the fuselage, but that will leave a nice pocket for air to blow in, causing much drag I suppose and probably making a nice scoop for rain, bugs, etc to fill the gap between the fairing and the fuselage.

Should I extend bottom of the fairing forward so it fits under the flap? (this seems to make the most sense to me)

Should I bend the flap end up and not worry about it?

Should I make some type of cap for the open end of the fairing?

What have you done? Pictures would be terriffic!:)

I made two new ones because they were too short and didn't fit like I wanted them to. No pictures because wings/flaps are off. Dave

When we had issues like this, my Bro and I would stop and think - what would Mr Beech, Mr Piper or Mr Cessna do........

Yep, we ignored it and moved on to something else.

If we fret about everything, we never get done.

Little things like this are frustrating, mostly they can be sorted by a quick tweak or bend or something. Figure what the boys at Vans would do - yea right...

Don't worry, move on, pound another rivet and get another day closer to the grin............ :D

Ideally....

You could cap off the 'scoop', but I doubt you would measure much drag change from that.

The thing that would yield the most payoff would be to trim the flap off flat and square, add an end cap, and then make a fairing on the fuselage that fits perfectly to the retracted flap. That fairing would, of course, blend smoothly into the existing flap fairing part, so it would end up closing off the 'scoop' automatically.

You know how the retracted flap upper skin fits tight to the angle lip on the flap fairing....keep that. But my idea is to trim the flap off just a 1/2" inboard from there and add an end cap. Then, the flap fairing would have a flat vertical face that matches the flap end cap, and then blend inboard and aft onto the fuselage skin and the existing flap fairing. (hope that makes sense)

I'm thinking of doing this at some point.

For now, like most everyone, I just left it and went flying. And having too much fun to stop for things like this ;)

Jesse,
I attached a small piece of aluminum as a fairing to bridge that gap smoothly and it works very well. No gaps at all in the retracted position and it fits snugly up against the fuselage belly. I'm out of the country right now, but will try to get a couple pictures online this weekend, just to give you another idea. Good luck.

Thanks

for the replies guys.

I'm leaning toward fitting a peice of sheet in there like Scott suggested.

Scott, I'd certainly appreciate any pics you can post. Thank you.

I'll post pics of my fix when I'm done for future thread browsers.