Jennafly

Hello all,

I'm considering building a plane for a number of reasons, am Life EAA, and in that, I'm also considering the RV-12. But I do have some questions which I think you all could help with?

1. Center of Gravity at full fuel and lower fuel? Moves forward? And how bad does it get when lower on fuel?

2. Questions about the idea of leaking fuel from the fuel tank at some time in the future.

3. Clamshell canopy. If making a forced landing in a field, if plane turns over, how to get out?

4. Entrance and egress in a high wind, with clamshell canopy. (For some reason, the wind does love to blow in NM/KS when I'm on my way to Oshkosh, and I'm thinking about how to get in and out without blowing the canopy off.

Thank you for your input!

Jen

1. CG limits are 80 to 85. Full fuel puts you around 83. Zero fuel around 80. Fuel level is not noticeable in flying characteristics.

2. Many of us early builders sealed off the holes immediately after flying off th hours considering them just a leak waiting to happen. Can't say however that that has turned out to be the case with newer builders. SB (now standard in kit) solved the problem of losing the tank in hard crash (600 fpm arrival).

3. Several places sell a device that shatters plexiglass. It is pointed and simply requires a spring loaded pump against the top. I carry one.

4. I live in windy Texas and have had that experience yes. Good to stop facing the wind and holding onto the "lid" before shutting. Not as big a problem as you might think.

All that said, and now with 400+ hours on it, the plane is absolutely wonderful. It is fast enough to travel, burns car gas at 4.5 gal/hr and can handle amazing crosswinds. You can build it (great instructions) and pay less than any similar LSA on the market.

Total agreement with Pete on all points, but let me elaborate a bit on the canopy.

If you look at the profile of the RV-12, you will notice that the closed canopy extends above the rollover structure. Should the RV-12 roll over on its back, the plexiglass will break and can be pushed/kicked out of the way.

Mitch,

I think you may be overly optimistic about the plex breaking and being able to move it out of the way in a rollover. Is that your gut feel, or do you have some empirical data leading to that conclusion? I'd love to believe it, but I keep my Harbor Freight pig sticker handy just in case I should ever have to bust the canopy. Unfortunately I don't think anything assures a quick escape in a rollover, but almost all the new LSAs have the same problem.

Rich

Rich,

Ken Krueger, the Chief Design Engineer for the RV-12, 14, 8 and 10, told me that it was specifically designed as such to break when I posed the same question to him some years ago.

The only empirical data I have is my own personal experience. I was once involved in an accident where the plexiglass windscreen shattered on impact. I didn't need to push it out of the way for egress, but I could have fairly easily. Based on that alone, I have no doubt whatsoever that the 12 canopy would break sufficiently to get out.

Above, PeterK said that SB solves the fuel tank problem, that it could erupt/spill fuel on the pilot in the event of a crash.

What is SB?

Thank you

Jen

Rich,

Ken Krueger, the Chief Design Engineer for the RV-12, 14, 8 and 10, told me that it was specifically designed as such to break when I posed the same question to him some years ago.

The only empirical data I have is my own personal experience. I was once involved in an accident where the plexiglass windscreen shattered on impact. I didn't need to push it out of the way for egress, but I could have fairly easily. Based on that alone, I have no doubt whatsoever that the 12 canopy would break sufficiently to get out.

Adding to Mitch's comment...
It is unfortunate, but this has already been crash tested on RV's many times.
I am not saying that carrying an escape tool is a bad idea, just reiterating that the canopy does break and that there is a large number of accident accounts where people said they got out without having had any escape tool with them in the cockpit.

Jen, SB is just an abbreviation for service bulletin. As modifications are required, manufacturers will announce these mods through "SB's". If you consider price, performance, kit and materials quality, ease of build (it is very easy) and factory support, it has no equal. JMHO

Mitch,

That's good news as I have always worried about getting trapped in a crash. I carry a larger survival knife from Harbor Freight to crack the plex in an emergency. I also carry a halon fire extinguisher. Of course plan A is soft landings on long runways!

Rich

Thread drift

A number of years ago Aviation Safety or similar magazine did a study of the data and found that the majority of night forced landings had happy endings, as in no fatalities, although the risk of death was higher than during the day. And the leading cause? Running out of gas.

Is it worth it?

Jenna - Is it worth it? Your profile doesn't tell whether or not you are a novice or non-pilot or maybe a retired airline pilot.

So, I am building an RV-12 and here is what I tell people who ask - "flying can kill you". If you for sure don't want to risk death or serious injury in an airplane then don't ever fly in one - it's a simple 'risk vs reward' thing. Same deal with driving a car or motorcycle. Almost everyone knows of someone who was killed or seriously injured in a car and I hear that almost every experienced pilot knows of someone who was killed in an airplane. In airplanes just like in cars, it's seldom the 'vehicle' that causes the accident and most likely the 'pilot'.

You are asking the right questions about the RV-12 just keep in mind the risk vs reward thing. There is no such thing as an absolutely 'safe' aircraft - not even the B-777, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you

Thank you all for great info.

I really like the plane. i am pleased to learn about it. I've never actually looked closely at the tank, so i will.

I would love to have one.

Question: are there any quick build options that include stuff like the tank?

Jen

Jen
There is no quick build option so far. However, Vans do offer a completed fuel tank option.
John

One is about all - -

yes, a fuel tank. I think if you build the plane, you can build the tank also. Just messy is all.

John Bender