scsmith

Well Known Member
On another thread, there is reference to the blanket authorization letter for operating amateur-built aircraft from the US into Canada.

Restriction #3 says:
3. the nationality and registration marks assigned to the aircraft by the Federal Aviation Administration shall be
displayed on the aircraft in accordance with the requirements of the United States;

So this statement in the blanket authorization seems to imply that if the FAA-assigned registration marks on my airplane are 3" numbers, those would be OK. But I was under the impression that to fly into Canada, I had to put 12" numbers on.

There is also Restriction #8 which says:
8. the general operating and flight rules of the Canadian Aviation Regulations shall be complied with when
operating the aircraft in Canadian airspace;

So, it may be the case that the requirement for 12" numbers would fall under that clause?

While I'm at it, has there been any relief for visiting aircraft into Canada from the requirement for 406 mhz ELT?

Just returned from a flight to B.C. on Saturday

Steve,

I make several flights to Canada every year, the most recent 4 days ago. YOU DO NOT need large numbers.

I believe the ELT 406 rule has not yet gone into effect, I don't have one.

It has been years since I saw a Canadian Customs officer upon landing. You just report in by phone and keep going. That does not mean that they don't on occasion come out for no reason or just to keep you honest.

Be sure you have all your aircraft documentation on board, also pilot's license and current medical certificate, but that is for the US Customs, when you return. They ask for all the detail each time you re-enter your own country.

JT

I was under the impression the requirement for 12" registration marks is for entry back into US airspace and has nothing to with operations while outside of US airspace.

My understanding is that the 12-inch requirement only applies to the ADIZ, which is the Alaska-Canada border. I don't believe that it applies to the 49th parallel border.

greg

Canada by air

I'm far from an authority; FWIW, there is no mandate for the 406 elt yet, and rumours are it may be eased to only North of 55th parallel for light aircraft.
You'll want an alternate means of locating you, of course.

....the 12" numbers are hilarious. It's illegal to use 'stick-on' letters/numbers in almost every other case, except where the ADIZ is involved, where all the smugglers can make up registrations at will and slap 'em on the side.
now that's government/military intelligence!

On another thread, there is reference to the blanket authorization letter for operating amateur-built aircraft from the US into Canada.

Restriction #3 says:
3. the nationality and registration marks assigned to the aircraft by the Federal Aviation Administration shall be
displayed on the aircraft in accordance with the requirements of the United States;

So this statement in the blanket authorization seems to imply that if the FAA-assigned registration marks on my airplane are 3" numbers, those would be OK. But I was under the impression that to fly into Canada, I had to put 12" numbers on.

There is also Restriction #8 which says:
8. the general operating and flight rules of the Canadian Aviation Regulations shall be complied with when
operating the aircraft in Canadian airspace;

So, it may be the case that the requirement for 12" numbers would fall under that clause?

While I'm at it, has there been any relief for visiting aircraft into Canada from the requirement for 406 mhz ELT?
Steve,

The Canadian regs on registration marks start with the following text:
CAR 202.01(1) said:
Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate an aircraft in Canada unless its marks are visible and are displayed

(a) in the case of a Canadian aircraft, in accordance with the requirements of the Aircraft Marking and Registration Standards; and

(b) in the case of an aircraft registered in a foreign state, in accordance with the laws of that foreign state.
So, you are good to go as long as you comply with the FARs for registration marks.

There is not yet a requirement for 406 Mhz ELTs. They were very close to such a requirement, but the community made enough noise that the Minister of Transport put it on hold.

thanks everyone

Thanks for the update. All makes sense.
I like the bit about temporary numbers only at the place where the security needs to be the tightest;)