Nashpdman

See below, can someone tell me why this is done? It seems different than the typical "fluting." Does it pull the skin closer on the curves, better fit, more contact with the skins? I clecoed the skins down to without fluting and they seemed to fit good.

Thanks!
Mike

Section 10, Tailcone, Pg 10-12
Step 3: The flange along the top of the F-1006 Bulkhead and the F-1007, -1008, and -1009 Frames is comprised of tabs with either one, two, or three punched holes. In preparation for clecoing on the F-1074 & -1075 Top Skins, heavily flute the tabs of the bulkhead and frames which have two punched holes.

See below, can someone tell me why this is done? It seems different than the typical "fluting." Does it pull the skin closer on the curves, better fit, more contact with the skins? I clecoed the skins down to without fluting and they seemed to fit good.

Thanks!
Mike

Section 10, Tailcone, Pg 10-12
Step 3: The flange along the top of the F-1006 Bulkhead and the F-1007, -1008, and -1009 Frames is comprised of tabs with either one, two, or three punched holes. In preparation for clecoing on the F-1074 & -1075 Top Skins, heavily flute the tabs of the bulkhead and frames which have two punched holes.
When you look at the bulkheads, place a straight edge along the prepunched holes in each 3 hole flange and you will see that there is an arc. When you flute, these will straighten out. Also, when you Cleco these into the skin, they will align better. You want to ensure that the rivets set flat without pulling when you get ready to final rivet.
Hope this helps - don’t be afraid to put these flutes in.