Lemmingman

Well Known Member
I know that there is a rule of thumb about the alignment of bolts that goes something like, Top to Bottom, Front to back. Is there a preference when a bolt is set laterally across the plane?

Put the head on the higher side, if dihedral is present.

In general, the idea is that if the nut should fall of, the bolt shouldn't fall out.

Dave

Generally,

Threads in, towards the centre line
Threads back, towards the tail
Threads down, towards the ground

And remember - these aren't "laws"....they are more like "guidelines" - there are numerous exceptions (if the reasons are good).

Yes, accessibility for inspection is a great reason on some bolts. For example: on a zenith 801 there is a pushrod for the flaperons inside a channel in the fuselage with a bolt that connects it to the flaperons. I put the nut on the outboard side so I can verify it's still there and hasn't loosened during preflight. Seeing the head of a bolt has much less value on inspection than seeing the nut.

I have always heard that the threads should point inboard, but one reply is saying the same and another is saying the opposite.

One consideration I use - can I put a wrench, preferably a socket, on the nut? I don't want to be holding a nut and spinning the bolt if I can avoid it.