WJONES

Hello all,

So my neighbors sold their house, bought an RV (the kind with four wheels) and are setting out on a grand retirement adventure. We were thinking it would be cool to fly our RV-9A to Oshkosh this year and meet up / stay with them in their rig. Apparently there are no reservations allowed and we're concerned that after making all the plans, they might not be able to get a site. Their fifth wheel is 35-40' long and would need a site with full hookups. We're all new to this and I was hoping to tap into the experience of others who know the ropes. I did some searching around, but didn't find much. Any input would be much appreciated!

Wes Jones
RV-9A (Almost finished)

Camping at Oshkosh

Things have probably changed in 20 years, but in 1994 I rented a motor home (about 28 foot IIRC) and camped in Camp Scholler for the week. Back then we had to camp "self contained." Since we had a full motor home and we stayed the full week, I had to pick up mid-week and dump the sewage and take on fresh water. They do have nice and adequate dumping stations.

That may not be much help, but it should get the ball rolling for others to chime in. Good luck! There are so many ways to enjoy Oshkosh, oops, Airventure.

Chances are they won't get full hookups so they will probably be "dry camping". That said, the EAA is expanding the number of sites with electric, and water (and maybe sewer).

However, there is a dump station on site.

Last year my wife had me buy here a trailer to take to OSH and we found that if you use the shower houses, we could make it a week without having to dump the waste tanks or refill the water.

We ran the generator during the day as we were not in the 24 hr generator section. That worked out well as it was cool at night.

There is so much room in Camp Scholler and it is so large I would surprised if they ran out of room. However, it might be a LONG walk to the front gate, but even that isn't so bad as they have bus service running through the camp ground.

Last edited:
If you happen to have a handicap plate or sticker, parking is great in the handicapped section! easy walk to shower house and front gate too but don't expect full hookups.

If you require full hookups then you must book your site before it starts and thru the week of the show. When I went I called 3 or 4 weeks in advance and they would tell you how many sites are left. Sort of like a lottery.

I think Bill summed it up best. Our 5th wheel is 34 feet and we stayed out in the 'dry camping' area and it was nice. There are plenty of places, so not to worry about getting a site in the dry camp area. The hookup areas are insanely busy. It's nice to have the quite out in the boonies after a full Osh day (I don't want to hear generator running all night long). If the trailer is that big, two people can easily go a week without dumping tanks (we have). Just be cautious on water (Navy showers). Use a generator during the hours if needed.

Take the buses to and from the camp.

Have fun, it's a blast!

Sleepy Hollow

Look up Sleepy Hollow. They are a privately owned place that is very convenient. Power and water. Dump station on site. Good rates.

I appreciate the good feedback. Our friends main issue with dry camping is their rig has dual air conditioners and apparently the generator they have only powers one of them at a time, and the result is marginal temps inside. I've only been to Osh one time and it was hot and muggy for sure. The off-site location may be a good idea, but sort of takes away the option of just chilling out for a while if you want a break - and then head back in.

I've heard that reservations aren't made through the EAA, but rather through another agency. Is this true?

Thanks again

Wes Jones
RV-9A

Sleepy Hollow

As Darwin mentioned Sleepy Hollow Campground is a good option. It is surrounded by Camp Scholler, and easy walking to the EAA activities. They also have a shuttle (of sorts). http://www.sleepyhollowfarm.com/

I think EAA's Camp Scholler is first come/first served (no reservations).

I would say that it is rare that you would need both air conditioners except perhaps during mid-day, and you should be on the field then, anyway. I can't ever remember using both. Also, if you were going to be there early (like Friday before it starts) you could camp in Woods 101, just inside near the entrance, and the shade makes up for a lot. That said, I have seen it 40 degrees, and 105. Yes, I have used the furnace in our MH at Oshkosh.

Bob

Last I checked, Sleepy Hollow was booked, but check anyway. Someone could have cancelled.

The majority of Camp Scholler doesn't allow generators after 10 PM because there are a lot of tent campers who don't want to hear them running all night. This has not been an issue for us since it typically cools down at night nd opening the windows is all you need. Well, a 12 volt fan won't hurt.