AX-O

Well Known Member
I am currently working on my RV8 gearbox mod and have a question. I am using 0.040 of an inch aluminum to make the cover plate. The part that I am modifying is also 0.040 thick. After cutting the aluminum that will become the cover plate I noticed that the grain on the gearbox piece is running up and down (along the longest direction) and the piece that I cut to make the plate is running side to side (across the longest direction). Do I have to match the grain of those two parts or is it OK the way it is? I know you have to use the grain on the aluminum to figure out which way to bend but don?t know if the grain direction adds any strength. Thanks for any help.

I am currently working on my RV8 gearbox mod and have a question. I am using 0.040 of an inch aluminum to make the cover plate. The part that I am modifying is also 0.040 thick. After cutting the aluminum that will become the cover plate I noticed that the grain on the gearbox piece is running up and down (along the longest direction) and the piece that I cut to make the plate is running side to side (across the longest direction). Do I have to match the grain of those two parts or is it OK the way it is? I know you have to use the grain on the aluminum to figure out which way to bend but don?t know if the grain direction adds any strength. Thanks for any help.

It does make a slight difference but not enough to notice. Generally you try and design a part to be strong enough regardless of the grain direction. It then gives production more options.

Jim Sharkey