brian

Well Known Member
I've got a couple people interested in buying my RV-7A project. One of them asked me a question I could not answer. I'm hoping people here can help me give him an accurate answer.

I'm estimating the plane is 80% done. He asked me what happens with DAR inspection, airworthiness certificate, repairman certificate, etc since HE will not be the person who did 51% of the work, and there isn't 51% left for him to do.

How does this work when selling a project? Will he have any issues when it's time for him to get the the certificate(s)?

Last edited:
My understanding is that it needed to be 51% amateur built. 51% could be built by several amateurs, and that's OK.

I'm sure others will chime in with the real story.

Clear skies,

No issue. The 51% tasks simply have to have been completed by any number of amateur builder(s).

It should be no problem on getting it registered and signed off as long as there is a trail (pictures, logs, etc.) that it has been built by amateurs for education, etc. Getting the Repairman's certificate will be a different story. The buyer may have luck with that if he/she can prove that they have been involved int he airplane enough and can demonstrate enough knowledge to the FSDO Inspector that they are competent enough to receive the Reapairman's Certificate.

Vic

Vic is right on; 100%

Typically, the FAA inspector issuing the repairman certificate will issue if the applicant can show that he/she has been involved in the construction enough to competently perform the condition inspection.