MS19087

Well Known Member
Installed the Vetterman exhaust on my 9A this weekend - all went well, however I have one question: The rubber hose used on the 'bracket' which ties the two pipes together touches the nosegear weldment. The plans say that 'some' tri-gear a/c may have to put a spacer in to avoid interference . . . right now I have it installed without spacers, it fits well, however the hose slightly bends around the nosegear . . . I have fabricated spacers just in case. IS IT ACCEPTABLE THAT THIS HOSE TOUCH/RUB THE NOSE GEAR? IF NOT, HOW MUCH CLEARENCE SHOULD I PROVIDE FOR WITH SPACERS??

Need clearance.

That hose is indirectly attached to the engine which shakes considerably. The nose gear does not move (or shouldn't). If the hose is touching the nose gear, it will wear quickly. You should have "some" clearance. I would recommend at least 1/4" to 1/2".

Mark,

I recently did a similar install. I think that if you mess around with the pipes (try twisting them a bit) and the position of the clamps on the pipes (also where the support brackets attach to the sump), you will find that you can get the clearance you need on the lateral bracket without spacers. This is said from the perspective of one who installed a Superior engine rather than a Lycoming, but I suspect the dimensions are not all that different.

greg