RobinHou

Well Known Member
Is the 5/16 18-NC die the correct size for an AN5 bolt?
If not, what size die is right for an AN5 bolt?
Thanks in advance,
Robin

Coarse threads are only found on the engine..I think you want an NF die.

However, threads on bolts are rolled..Not cut with a die..You risk weakening the bolt by cutting threads.

You can clean up damaged threads however,

Die on AN bolt threads

Either the AN490 or the spherical rod end MAY be the problem. There are thread gauges which show if the right number of threads/inch are present and also thread micrometers with conical tips that can measure the root diameter of male threads. These may help. If you don't have them a friendly machine shop may help.

A cheaper alternative is to get the same thread size AN bolt and nut. Thread them together to check them, then thread the nut onto the AN490 and the bolt into the spherical rod end. This should indicate where the problem is.

I would not recommend using a die on a male thread, as already stated the threads are rolled. If the AN490 threads are the problem I would buy new ones.

Either the AN490 or the spherical rod end MAY be the problem. There are thread gauges which show if the right number of threads/inch are present and also thread micrometers with conical tips that can measure the root diameter of male threads. These may help. If you don't have them a friendly machine shop may help.

A cheaper alternative is to get the same thread size AN bolt and nut. Thread them together to check them, then thread the nut onto the AN490 and the bolt into the spherical rod end. This should indicate where the problem is.

I would not recommend using a die on a male thread, as already stated the threads are rolled. If the AN490 threads are the problem I would buy new ones.

Agree, but if you MUST, it's 5/16-24. All common AN bolts are fine (so, 10-32, 1/4-28, 5/16-24 etc

Thanks...

I tried bolts and nuts, and am sure the problem is with the rod ends. I will order 2 new ones from Aircraft Spruce.

Thank you all for your help,

Robin

Just thinking outside the box and you may very well know , but rod ends are also available with left hand threads. The nut must be the same and they tighten by turning the opposite way. You might have a mix match pair?
Ron