JohnR

Well Known Member
Well I finally got a day to work on the project a bit. I bent the trim tab ends and the tabs on the elevator which all came out great.

Then I got to the hinge for the trim tab. What am I missing here? In the photo I show where I measured form for the 1/4" shown on the plans. The hole seems to close to the edge, I haven't drilled any of the holes yet, just a sharpie mark at this point. It does have enough edge clearance but seems it should be centered. Did I measure the 1/4" from the wrong place on the hinge? Any suggestions appreciated.

rvhinge.jpg

Funny....I just did this step about 10 minutes ago. I couldn't figure it out either. It seems like anytime there's a critical measurement, Vans always gives a very imprecise fiducial to measure from. Maybe it's CYA on their part so if it ends up not fitting, you can't blame them...lol...I dunno.

What I ended up doing is measuring 3/16" from the back edge of the hinge to give me the edge distance, and said screw-it to the 1/4" measurement floating in mid-air at the front. I don't know if this is the right thing to do, but it all seems to fit OK at the moment.

Incidentally, when I measured mine originally at 1/4", it didn't have enough edge distance.

edit: Also, I just noticed this...if you look at detail A-A on DWG-4, there is a full size view of the hinge w/the rivet holes marked. If you measure it, it's also 3/16", so I think that's the right way to do it. The 1/4" measurement seems to be from the rivet hole to the front of the trim tab skin...not super helpful :)

Last edited:
Thanks John. I don;t know how I missed that fulle sized detail. :eek:

Your recommendation looks good to me and matches the plans. Man, I been away from the project for about three weeks due to other commitments and it sure does show.