Greenley

Well Known Member
Planning to take my RV10 plans in to Staples to have them scanned, so I can have an electronic copy for my personal use. For those that have done this, any advice on resolution or anything else that would help me get a good scan to OCR? Also, for OCR'ing any recommendations on software. It seems like this could save a lot of time. I just started the vertical stabilizer, and saw I had a part VS1016 that was left over. Had I missed something? No, after reading many pages I finally found that this part is installed when doing final tail assembly. I text search would have been much easier.
Bill Greenley
new RV10 builder

Home scanning is very easy

Might cost a little bit more, but if you buy a sheet fed scanner like a Fujitsu ScanSnap it comes with a full license for Acrobat Pro. As a duplex scanner, it took me less than 20 minutes to scan the full preview plans book in and maybe that again to OCR the entire set.

I've since re-scanned any sections that were different in the actual plans set (though only the manual, not the large format blueprints in that case). Just a few minutes for each section.

I also scanned in each packing list and then dumped those into a spreadsheet for inventory purposes on an iPad. The only real issues I've had with the OCR is some confusion between O/0 B/8 and I/1. Any OCR will have that problem which is hard to work around unless the fonts have a big distinction between letters and numbers, though Acrobat is probably the best or very close to the best you can get without being crazy expensive. Also, Acrobat does seem to be better with the full text docs as compared to the packing lists. I assume it checks for spelling so can decipher a bit better, and it can't do that with the lists.

In any case, still not very expensive and you then have a scanner for receipts and lots of other personal paper you might want to do the same thing to.

--edit---
As soon as I posted I realized that 10 plans are very different from 8 plans. Probably the home scanning is out since you have bigger sheets with drawings and text on one page.

In that case, make sure that they generate PDFs in as few filesets as you find reasonable. ie. you don't want to stitch together 100 single page scans yourself, and you only really benefit from OCR if you have bigger documents so you don't have to manually search each scan. Acrobat can merge pages, but just get them done right and save the hassle.

The next issue with those types of plans is that you will either have to manually define which parts of each page to OCR, which will take forever, or live with the result of auto text identification. That will leave you with pretty much every character found, so drawing numbers and revision dates, dimensions and things that look like I/1 or O/0, like maybe even some holes, will show up as well. Probably not the worst thing, but it will be a little bit more messy.

Last edited: