flyenforfun

Well Known Member
Was thinking about using the Safeair1 products to adapt the dynon AOA tube to plastic tubing I bought form Vans and I ran down my wing. Can I use their connectors with any tubing or do I HAVE to use their tubing like they say?

Safe Air System

I was installing mine today and tried a piece of the stiff plastic pitot tubing it seemed to work fine. I don't regret spending the money the fittings are great.I will put a lot of stress on it tomorrow and let you know how it works.
Terry

Was thinking about using the Safeair1 products to adapt the dynon AOA tube to plastic tubing I bought form Vans and I ran down my wing. Can I use their connectors with any tubing or do I HAVE to use their tubing like they say?

Not only can you use lots of other plastic tubing, that style of fitting will generally even work on aluminum tubing. They've been around for years, several companies manufacture them.

There are variations; the types with stainless steel internal grip rings are typically the most versatile in what they'll grab. All use an o-ring to seal on the OD of the tube. Some are more resistant to certain chemicals and/or to temperature variation. McMaster-Carr has a good selection, though they don't provide manufacturer names (Legris and SMC are two of the big ones).

I prefer to stick with nylon or urethane tubing, especially in locations that are difficult to inspect. I believe the Vans-supplied tubing is polyethylene. It's good to a slightly tighter bend radius, but over the long term polyethylene can get brittle.