Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
I would like to know if someone out there knows if the top cowl and specifically the air inlet shapes are the same. The reason for asking is that if they are the same, it means that my plenums that I advertise and sell for the RV7 will also fit on the RV6.

I have it that it is the same, but are not sure.

I suspect that they are not the same but ...

I would like to know if someone out there knows if the top cowl and specifically the air inlet shapes are the same. The reason for asking is that if they are the same, it means that my plenums that I advertise and sell for the RV7 will also fit on the RV6.

I have it that it is the same, but are not sure.

I know in the case of the RV-6, the lower cowl changed size when they changed to the honey comb core structure. I interchanged information on that with Larry Vetterman. After my cowl was badly burned he told me that when the change was made he was not informed of the change in shape which put the exhaust pipe from the #2 cylinder almost up against the inside of the cowl. I cut off a significant amount of pipe to get some clearance then added some high quality thermal barrier material. The largest engine for the RV-6 was specified to be the 180 hp 360. I have been told that the angle valve 200 hp IO-360 which the RV-7 was designed for, will not fit but I don't know that for a fact. A fellow that ocassionally comments in the forum that should know is Scott McDaniel. He and Ken Scott worked there during the time of the creation of the RV-7. I think it will take that kind of inside information the answer you question for sure.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
This may not be a definitive answer, but a data point. What came with my 7A kit is marked "6/6A top cowl". So it does appear that the same top cowl is used on the 6 and 7.