lr172

Well Known Member
I see quite a few panels indicating on, off, push pull, etc. Is it a requirement for switches to indicate an on or off position. It would seem intuitive that Up is on and down is off for a simple switch. Same with the throttle. How many planes are push for idle? Certainly some things are not obvious and should be labelled for clarity by all.

I know what I am comfortable with but have concerns about what will be considered acceptable by the FAA during inspection.

I appreciate any guidance that can be offered.

Larry

All of the A/W inspections that I have read of wanted all switches and controls labeled, including stick grip switches.

FSDO and DAR variability

The answer is each of those has their own perspective; "... what will be considered acceptable ... during inspection..." depends on who is inspecting, their experience, perspective, and personality.

Suggest you start a relationship with a DAR or your FSDO soon, to establish expectations for both parties.

Good luck!:)

Every inspector is different. I have never had them require the complete "up-on down-off" labeled, but have had them require labels for all switches and controls. Some don't even care. I've never had a stick grip labeled and never had that required. I guess there's always a first.

91.9 (b) (2)

Yes you need to label which way is ON and OFF.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...98976E9CA9A8714D852566CF00612469?OpenDocument

(2) For which an Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual is not required by Sec. 21.5 of this chapter, unless there is available in the aircraft a current approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual, approved manual material, markings, and placards, or any combination thereof.

From FAA Order 8130.2G Change 1 section 4102 (d) (2) (d) The completed weight and balance report, including load limits for flightcrew, oil, fuel, and baggage, should be available in the aircraft, along with the other applicable placards, listings, and markings required by 14 CFR ? 91.9.

FAA Order 8130.2 lastest version is the requirements that the FAA uses for certification of an Amateur Built aircraft. If an inspector or DAR does not require it, they either overlooked it or did not follow the FAA Order.

Yes you need to label which way is ON and OFF.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...98976E9CA9A8714D852566CF00612469?OpenDocument

(2) For which an Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual is not required by Sec. 21.5 of this chapter, unless there is available in the aircraft a current approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual, approved manual material, markings, and placards, or any combination thereof.

From FAA Order 8130.2G Change 1 section 4102 (d) (2) (d) The completed weight and balance report, including load limits for flightcrew, oil, fuel, and baggage, should be available in the aircraft, along with the other applicable placards, listings, and markings required by 14 CFR ? 91.9.

FAA Order 8130.2 lastest version is the requirements that the FAA uses for certification of an Amateur Built aircraft. If an inspector or DAR does not require it, they either overlooked it or did not follow the FAA Order.

My interpretation of this regulation is that the requirement is for a ANY combination of labels and manuals. I certainly intend to label everything on my panel. I wound up with a relatively full/tight panel and it would be much cleaner if I can leave off the "OFF" or "ON" designation on switches. I don't feel this is a safety issue, as I can't imagine anyone thinking that up is Off. We are all trained from an early age that up is ON for a simple switch. I intend to clearly mark things like Flaps and Trim which are not necessarily obvious.

I'll plan to make a diagram in the Filght Manual with clear indication that up is ON. If that doesn't pass inspection, I can add OFF labels later.

Thanks for the feedback here.

Larry

My interpretation of this regulation is that the requirement is for a ANY combination of labels and manuals. I certainly intend to label everything on my panel. I wound up with a relatively full/tight panel and it would be much cleaner if I can leave off the "OFF" or "ON" designation on switches. I don't feel this is a safety issue, as I can't imagine anyone thinking that up is Off. We are all trained from an early age that up is ON for a simple switch. I intend to clearly mark things like Flaps and Trim which are not necessarily obvious.

I'll plan to make a diagram in the Filght Manual with clear indication that up is ON. If that doesn't pass inspection, I can add OFF labels later.

Thanks for the feedback here.

Larry

I agree with your overall plan and approach (I used the Rockrack switches from Aveo, which are themselves labeled, and I don't have any "On" or "Off" labels...because Up is On :) )...but don't assume that everyone thinks that up = On. I can't tell you the number of hotel rooms I've been in overseas where the light switches confound me when first walking in...because "Up"
(or what looks like "Up" to my American eyes) is actually *Off*!

Still, probably not an issue in your own airplane :) Just saying...watch those assumptions!

I am still hung up on how to label my PTT on the control stick. I guess I could just write it on a tag and tie it to the stick with some string:mad:

The ELSA plans do not show the PTT labeled. Nor are the SLSA. I know you will be EAB but I think the stick labeling being referred to is for a grip with several switches. I have seen labeled grip diagrams on the panel for that.

On some certified aircraft I have seen them labelled but usually associated with other things on the yoke like trim.

Panel mounted PTTs - I've seen both with and without a PTT label.

They make transfer letters on a sheet, black or white or colors, you rub them on from the back side of the sheet onto the surface. That would last the day of inspection...