danielhv

Well Known Member
Im getting ready to place the order for a RV-7 tail kit and have a few questions for those that have gone through the process...

Shipping: Will the kit only be delivered M-F? Or will they deliver on Saturday? Reason for asking is Im at work M-F 7am - 6pm.

Signature: Im assuming there will be a signature required for delivery?

Shipping cost: Is it COD? Do they take checks? And how much should I expect to pay for shipping to Dallas?

Handling: Can the box be handled by one person?

Thanks guys!

oh, and one more thing... Are the plans that come with the emp kit more step-by-step and "in detail" than the ones that came in the preview plans? Cause Im totally lost looking at these prints!! :(

Shipping: Will the kit only be delivered M-F? Or will they deliver on Saturday? Reason for asking is Im at work M-F 7am - 6pm.

I *think* they sent mine Fed-Ex 2 day. I am pretty sure Fed-Ex 2 day is only delivered M-F. But, nonetheless, you can call up FedEX and have them keep the package at the local terminal. Then after work, drive over to the local terminal, present the tracking # and your ID and walk out with the empennage. Or get it delivered to your work (that's what I do!).

Shipping cost: Is it COD? Do they take checks? And how much should I expect to pay for shipping to Dallas?

Mine was prepayed via Van's. Crating was $18 and shipping to Baltimore was $119 back in 2005 :eek:

Handling: Can the box be handled by one person?

Yes, easily. The empennage comes in two boxes.

Easiest thing to do is to ship the emp kit to your office (I did this with most of my high dollar items). The emp kit comes via regular UPS, Fedex, etc. The later kits must be shipped by freight company because of the sizes and weights involved and you will probably need to be home to receive those.

If you have a pickup, minivan or SUV you should have absolutely no problem getting it home from your work site. It's easily handled by one person. Good luck!

Good luck...get busy!

oh, and one more thing... Are the plans that come with the emp kit more step-by-step and "in detail" than the ones that came in the preview plans? Cause Im totally lost looking at these prints!! :(

Nope. You're looking pretty much at what you get as far as plans except what comes with the kit is the "authoritative" documentation with any revisions. Also, there are included construction instructions that make it pretty easy. With the instructions and plans that come in the kit, they pretty much hold your hand every step of the way on the empennage.

so do I fax in the order form? Or call and make arrangements to fax it in? If I fax it in tonight, will they just call me tomorrow and let me know how much they are charging me for shipping etc?

I faxed mine. I never knew how much shipping was until I received the invoice from them. I am sure you can call them up and figure it all out tomorrow. The people at Van's are really great to work with, especially the gals in the ordering department.

My tail kit, likewise, was shipped 2 day Fed Ex for what I thought was a very reasonable amount. I had it delivered to work and it was easy to get into my pickup and take home.

The instructions for the tail will be essentially the same you have with the preview plans. When you get to the fuse, the instructions leave out a ton. I highly suggest you get one of the empannage building videos. Van's has them (cheap VHS, though). I got one, then sold it to someone else when I was done. It really helped me to get going.

So, as long as you are prepared for the trials and tribulations of building an airplane, go on and give Van's a call and get started. The sooner you start, the sooner you will finish.

Faxing is the Only Way!

I don't believe Van's will take kit orders over the telephone. Faxing the signed order form is the only way. I faxed my Emp order on a Wednesday and it arrived the following Tuesday via FedEx Ground. Also, Van's posts the shipping weights on their web site under shipping information http://vansaircraft.com/public/shipping.htm. From that, you can get a fairly close estimate of the shipping charges from FedEx before you place the order. Good luck. I can't wait to get started but work has gotten in the way.

Emp Kit Ordering/Shipping

FWIW, I mailed (yep, with a stamp...) my order in early October 07 and received the kit exactly one week later. Crating was $18 and shipping was $121.53 to Lees Summit, MO (Kansas City area).

Mike

One tip that's fresh in my mind... :)

Order a spare E-713(PP?) counterbalance skin because if/when you drop the assembly whilst trying to drill the lead weights through, it may be irreparably damaged and...

It'll only cost you ten bucks and if you don't use it, you can hand it on to the next fella who might be in need of it.

Enjoy!

A

I ordered my tail kit (9A) in person at the factory during a visit there, and it showed up at my house (West Texas) 4 business days later via FedEx. Yes, one man can easily handle it. You'll want to inspect for damage right away, and inventory the entire contents soon thereafter - you only have 30 days to notify Van's of missing items.

The wing kit appears as if it's going to need a little more help - I've got a couple of neighbor friends on "standby" for when that kit shows up next month!

Inspect your Crate to Protect Your Wallet

Airguy brings up a good point. Everybody listen up:

Never, never, never sign for a package before inspecting the exterior for obvious damage (including the side on the ground). If you see anything that looks out of order note it on the shipping document. Something like "hole (dent, wrinkle etc...) in box (crate...), internal damage unknown." goes a long, long way to protect your rights. Digital cameras are a big help.

When you sign for a shipment you are attesting, by default, that it is in good order. Having been a controller for small manufacturing outfits I've seen too many instances of guys on the dock (usually newbies) who don't note the damage. When that happens the receiver (you the customer) get to eat the loss. If I've heard it once..."but the driver was in a hurry." Oooooof courrrrrse heeee isssss fooool!

This does not mean that you need to open the box on the spot and do a full inventory while the driver is standing there. That would be unreasonable. But you should do your inventory as promptly as reasonably possible. The sooner you initiate your claim the less they can try to blame damage on your subsequent rough handling. Use a camera.

If the shipment is beat up badly, which is a judgement call, you can refuse the shipment. It is then up to Vans and the trucker to sort it out. There are no folderons, alligator skins or craxiglass called out on the drawings.

I think I saw another post on this website where a FedEx driver lamely claimed that the box must have been beat up by Van's before shipment. Nonsense. They are trained to refuse to accept a beat up box by the same logic.

DFW Emp Shipping Cost

Back in Oct 2005 my RV-8/8A Emp Kit shipping to Dallas/Fort Worth are was $87.56 and if I remember correctly it was UPS. Got it about a week after I ordered the kit. Van's doesn't tell you shipping price. You just have to trust them to get you the best deal and keep your fingers crossed.