Brantel

Well Known Member
Those that use Foreflight with the Ipad:

I am currently running the 30 day trial of Foreflight. I noticed that everytime I pan or zoom any of the maps that Foreflight needs to download data in order to render the maps. I also noticed that in trial mode Foreflight does not allow bulk downloads.

My question is: If I purchase a data plan from Foreflight, will it allow me to download the entire data set for each type of map in order to prevent needing to download map data on the fly? I imagine that 3G downloads from the air are not realistic.

Thanks!

Brantel,

ForeFlight is amazing. When you purchase the app, you can download to your device all the files you think you will need. Basically, download where ever you think you might fly.

Once downloaded, the speed is really good. I never see it take more than a split second to display.

Fore flight vs. Garmin "pilot my-cast"

Brantel, did you try out the 30 day trail for garmin? I'm trying to figure out which to go with. Each have plus and minus, like garmin allows radar overlay on a sectional where fore flight doesn't. Garmin also has an overlay TFR which I found much better then fore flight.

I like to hear what other people say about these two.

Regards,

Foreflight in IFR - a review

I just used my iPad w/BadELF GPS on a 3+ hour IFR training flight and I learned some useful things. Previously I used paper Jepp plates and Jepp enroutes so this is a big transition for me. I have 530W/430W in the plane and those moving maps are primitive. I chose the iPad over 696 for price, additional apps, foreflight planning/filing features, and because I needed one for app development. Plus it's cool.

GPS: in a ship with lots of metal over your head (my piper) you need the BadELF. I've used it with the internal and with BadELF and the lock-on is much better, more reliable and a bit more accurate with BadELF. If you don't really need the 3G data I'd buy a 16gig/iPad-1/Wifi only and a BadELF - save some $$. I personally use the 3G a lot out at the hanger for downloading wiring diagrams, install manuals, and reading VansAirforce...

Enroutes/Sectionals: I agree F.F. needs to add radar overlay and TFR overlay to the map view. I would also like to see winds aloft overlay (a la GPSMAP Wx) as well. I hope they partner with an ADSB/in provider so we can have this in the air. 3G almost never works for me in the air, and it's not legal of course.

As for utility, I don't miss the paper sectionals or enroutes AT ALL. Being geo-ref'ed is great, zooming is easy, and changing the plan (direct-to, or adding/changing a waypoint) is trivial as of FF 3.8 or so. Oh yeah, their flight planning supports Victor airways now (haven't tried T routes) - unlike my 530/430. I could pay 30k to upgrade to GTNs to get Victors (and finger prints and pretty maps) but the iPad gives the waypoints to me and I plug them into the garmins.

Approach Plates: FF 4.0 has improved plate handling a lot. You must plan ahead and set up the plates page with the plates you plan to use as this is not something you want to do in flight when ATC tells you the ILS is NA and starts vectoring you for the IF to a plate you don't have on the page. I'm still hurting from that one - I did find the chart in time but should have practiced more with the new plate view format BEFORE I took off.

I have the geo-ref'ed plates too and that makes a BIG difference. It's easy to cross ref with the 530 leg info to make sure they agree and then I can confirm my minimum alt right on the top view. The 696 has this too, of course. I've been told the 696 screen is brighter as well. The reflective iPad screen and max brightness are minuses but workable.

Downloads: Once you decide what you want loaded the updates are a one-button affair. Use wi-fi for this - they're big. I canceled my Jepps and have not missed the monthly update ritual, torn out pages, binders, cost, etc. I think Jepps are better than NACOs but until they work a reasonable deal with FF and fully integrate their enroutes and plates I'll stick with NACOs.

Redundancy: I have FF on my iPad and iPhone with the same download coverage. This still leaves a single point of failure if a software bug creeps in so I do carry printed paper of my departure, destination, and alternate plates and I pick the enroutes for my area. I have not taken a long trip in a while IFR so I'm not sure if I'll carry every paper enroute. I can always ask ATC for an approach in the event of a complete FF failure on both devices.

Paper Plates: I've worked out a scheme (on my Mac) to batch download my favorite plates from NACO, combine them into a single PDF (using a python script apple supplies), and print them 2-up on Jepp paper products sold for their e-plate product. I got adobe reader to print 2-up in the right way after, uh, lots of attempts. I know one of the plate online folks have a web tool but it creates a B&W pdf and I wanted the color plates in color.

I'm sure I missed a few things. I'll edit this if I think of them.

Last edited:
No but I will soon!

Brantel, did you try out the 30 day trail for garmin? I'm trying to figure out which to go with. Each have plus and minus, like garmin allows radar overlay on a sectional where fore flight doesn't. Garmin also has an overlay TFR which I found much better then fore flight.

Regards,

Love it

We have been using ipads with foreflight in both jets and turboprops I fly. Love it. We don't have any external ant. and have had no problems. Don't have the RV flying yet, but I will say get the nonglare shield for the ipad. I use my ipad2 and an ipad1 I bought on here for the company. The other pilots that fly with me have their own as well. Did away with over $1800.00 a year from jepp. The plates are different but all the info is there. The new version of FF is great and love the batching of the plates. We used to make a "day book" for the fights that day with all the airports and plates. Now we do that with the new "plates" section. Would like to have inflight weather but I am sure that is comng. We do have onboard radar and XM in both planes, but won't have in the RV. by the time I need it there, FF will have it, I am sure.

Hey Brantel-

Have you looked at SKYCHARTS PRO? I am using their app for my IPAD. The app download is free and the subscription is only $20/year. So far I have been very pleased with the app. I primarily fly VFR although I am instrument rated as is my 9A. The charts are great and everything works well. You can download by region. The GPS function (I have an IPAD I with 3G/WIFI) is very close to my 396. Altitude is usually off a bit as is groundspeed but I would only use those functions as backup anyway. This app has all of the IFR charts, low altitude enroute charts, approach plates, and AFD. You can do route planning but I am not sure about filing.
I have not tried foreflight as it just seemed a lot more than I needed.
As far as NEXRAD goes I use my 396 with XM. I am hoping that SKYCHARTS will offer weather soon.
If you have not already checked out SKYCHARTS PRO I would do so.

Just wanted to let you know about this.
Peter K
9A-280 hrs

Brantel,

ForeFlight is amazing. When you purchase the app, you can download to your device all the files you think you will need. Basically, download where ever you think you might fly.

Once downloaded, the speed is really good. I never see it take more than a split second to display.

Brantel,
The quick answer is YES. Though I never used the trail version but as a subscriber, I can download any/all maps and type (VFR/IFR) and they are ready for use without any need for additional till the next cycle.

It is also noteworthy about ForeFlight other tools and capability that is constantly has been improving and adding to it. I really like the fuel prices, flight planning, and approach plates, now geo-referenced for a modest increase in cost.

I flew using ForeFlight from West coast to East coast and back without any issues and carried only a set of maps as a backup which was never needed.

I started my ForFlight subscription as a 30 day trial. I noticed the same download lag as you are because it had to look for the information and download it as I was selecting things. Once you subscribe the batch downloads allow you to grab info for an entire state. FF even recommends that you put your iPad in airplane mode and make sure you can still see all of your downloaded data. It is pretty quick once it is all downloaded.

I think FF on the iPad is an excellent ePub/chart viewer. It is also great for preflight planning as well. I also like the moving map feature. Definitely won't try flying IFR solely off of the iPad, but it is a great backup and VFR map machine. I don't currently use the geo referenced approach plates, but that is because I'm not doing much IFR. If that changes, I'll pay the extra subscription fee.

Jepp vs NACO charts is one of those things where you are probably more comfortable with the ones you grew up on. I was military so I am used to the NACO. But they both have the same info, just slightly different layouts. Not hard to get used to the other format if you spend a some time chair flying with them to get familiar with the layout.

What are you using to secure the iPad in flight? Maybe it is my military training, but I like everything locked down in some way. My favorite for the iPad is the iPad Kneeboard Pro by MyGoFlight.com. They also sell the BadElf (which I use) and a few other accessories for iPad flying.

Last edited:
I've made several IFR flights over the past month using my IPAD as my sole source of charts/plates. Of course the GPS in the airplane had current updates so that was my primary navigation source. Once of the flights was in an RV-7A from PA to CA and I didn't have any paper charts with me at all. I had absolutely no problems with the IPAD, even using the internal GPS. At one point I was at 17,000 and everything still worked great.

I do use ForeFlight Pro, and I absolutely love the geo-referenced approach plates. This is a HUGE safety improvement for any IFR pilot. I don't care how long you've been flying approaches; it is still possible to get confused when you're busy and start turning the wrong way. A quick glance at the IPAD and I know I'm protected.

I do carry a backup battery for my IPAD on every flight, as I have found that the internal battery won't last all day on a long cross country, especially if I'm listening to music in the background or surfing the internet while on the ground.

There are rumors of in-flight XM weather availability coming this summer. This will complete the total package for me.

Tried FF but went with WingX

I have Skycharts as well which is fine for VFR. I tried the FF trial and it is very good, but WingX got my vote with the ease of use and the split-screen mode. Also, with the Skyradar ADS-B add-on, I will be able get traffic and weather.

Clearly the foreflight and wingx guys are evolving into superior products but for me, the skychartspro was much, much cheaper and provided all the tools i intended to use via the iPad. Do not overlook skychartspro!!

Clearly the foreflight and wingx guys are evolving into superior products but for me, the skychartspro was much, much cheaper and provided all the tools i intended to use via the iPad. Do not overlook skychartspro!!

I have the fore flight and sky charts pro. I found I migrate to using the fore flight. I do like the skychartspro, but now that foreflight has the airspace info with a touch anywhere in the area, it is my choice in flight. Also, I find flight planning much easier in fore flight.
I have not tried the wingx program.

Regards,

I have both I like Pilot My-cast on my iphone, and FF on the Ipad.

iPad

I have both Foreflight and Skycharts Pro for the iPad one. Both are excellent and as long as the iPad remains functional they serve as backups to each other (also on the iPhone). Recently flew MWC-IGX-AVL-MWC with VFR and IFR legs. Maps and the georeferencing worked flawlessly on both (didn't use an approach). The flight plan filing of Foreflight is outstanding and so easy I didn't believe it at first. I too went through the cost and effort of maintaining Jepps for the entire US for 25 years. I don't miss the Jepps at all, and now use Air Charts Systems for paper back up with minimal effort at updating and much less cost. Have not used geo referenced plates on the iPad and look forward to that. We use the GNS 5870 MFI which works perfectly via Bluetooth with the iPad and is more accurate than the built in GPS. Thanks to all for input.

I have Skycharts as well which is fine for VFR. I tried the FF trial and it is very good, but WingX got my vote with the ease of use and the split-screen mode. Also, with the Skyradar ADS-B add-on, I will be able get traffic and weather.

Are you sure this will do traffic? I thought the Skyradar ADS-B receiver unit would only give you weather, but not traffic. To get ADS-B traffic, you need to also have an ADS-B transmitter installed.

However, I'd be very happy if I were wrong. I've been hoping to figure out a way to use the iPad for ADS-B weather and traffic, so if there is a way to do it, please share! :)

-Dj

Are you sure this will do traffic? I thought the Skyradar ADS-B receiver unit would only give you weather, but not traffic. To get ADS-B traffic, you need to also have an ADS-B transmitter installed.

However, I'd be very happy if I were wrong. I've been hoping to figure out a way to use the iPad for ADS-B weather and traffic, so if there is a way to do it, please share! :)

-Dj

You need to go to www.skyradar.com and read all about it. The problem right now is that for traffic, the ADS-B is not in wide use yet making it almost useless for you. Now if you were in Alaska you could benefit from it. Also, you're partially right about transmitting. Skyradar is a receiver for weather and traffic but from what I read, they won't see you but you will see them.

You need to go to www.skyradar.net and read all about it. The problem right now is that for traffic, the ADS-B is not in wide use yet making it almost useless for you. Now if you were in Alaska you could benefit from it. Also, you're partially right about transmitting. Skyradar is a receiver for weather and traffic but from what I read, they won't see you but you will see them.

Yeah, that was my point but I wasn't clear. I'm currently using the SkyRadar app, but no ADS-B receiver. On their website (http://www.skyradar.net/skyscope-application/app-specs.html) they specifically state "Airport weather and NOTAM data when connected to SkyRadar ADS-B receiver":

When connected to our SkyRadar receiver following additional information is presented:
Overlay TIS-B and FIS-B data on the map
Depicts NEXRAD data, local NEXRAD is updated every 5 minutes and CONUS NEXRAD every 15 min.
Presents TAF & METAR data for airports
PIREPs where available
Presents winds aloft from reporting points
Presents graphical depiction of TFRs and operational times
Status of special use airspace's
Complete flight data with weather information can be recorded and replayed at later time

If you read about the ADS-B implementation, it says that in order to receive traffic info for targets around your particular airplane, you have to also be transmitting your position. Essentially, you transmit your position, the ground station receives it, and replies with traffic within a certain distance around you (I forget how many miles). If another airplane transmits, your airplane will receive the other plane's position directly.

As far as I can tell, this means that at present you can only view weather, and no traffic using the iPad apps. Hopefully someone will integrate an ADS-B receiver AND transmitter into an iPad app so we can get traffic, too, but I'm not aware of anything like this available at present.

-Dj

I-pad Battery Life & Wx Software

I have a question concerning the battery life on my I-pad 3, Wi-Fi only, using an external Bluetooth GPS. I am looking at the XGPS150 external GPS for purchase. I would appreciate any input on external GPS recommendations and I-pad battery life during Bluetooth communications.

I am also looking at Foreflight for flight planning software. WRT wx, what would be my best option and hardware selection to interface with the I-pad?

Thanks,

I have a question concerning the battery life on my I-pad 3, Wi-Fi only, using an external Bluetooth GPS. I am looking at the XGPS150 external GPS for purchase. I would appreciate any input on external GPS recommendations and I-pad battery life during Bluetooth communications.

I am also looking at Foreflight for flight planning software. WRT wx, what would be my best option and hardware selection to interface with the I-pad?

Thanks,
I am using the XGPS150 on an iPad 3 with Foreflight. The battery life on the GPS is great. I have accidentally left it on for 24+ hours sitting on the glare shield on cross country flights. When I returned to the plane there was still charge enough to get me home. As for the iPad battery life, well, I have setup a cigarette lighter plug on my panel where I have inserted a USB charging device that will charge at 2.1 amps so I plug the iPad into it whenever I am flying. Without using ship's power the iPad will not last very long at all on the battery while using Foreflight and the GPS.

Every since Apple pushed out the IOS 6.0 operating system there have been issues with the GPS communicating properly with the iPad. I have talked with DUAL and with Foreflight many times concerning this. As of last week, I have been informed by Foreflight that they believe this problem has been resolved. However, considering just last week when I ran the Foreflight update I ran into the communication problem again I will watch this issue closely. There is a current work around that appears to work but so far, every time I run an update I have to apply the work around again. This is not a deal breaker, primarily because of the otherwise high quality and useful functionality of the products but it is something to be aware of.

I am using the XGPS150 on an iPad 3 with Foreflight. The battery life on the GPS is great. I have accidentally left it on for 24+ hours sitting on the glare shield on cross country flights. When I returned to the plane there was still charge enough to get me home. As for the iPad battery life, well, I have setup a cigarette lighter plug on my panel where I have inserted a USB charging device that will charge at 2.1 amps so I plug the iPad into it whenever I am flying. Without using ship's power the iPad will not last very long at all on the battery while using Foreflight and the GPS.

Every since Apple pushed out the IOS 6.0 operating system there have been issues with the GPS communicating properly with the iPad. I have talked with DUAL and with Foreflight many times concerning this. As of last week, I have been informed by Foreflight that they believe this problem has been resolved. However, considering just last week when I ran the Foreflight update I ran into the communication problem again I will watch this issue closely. There is a current work around that appears to work but so far, every time I run an update I have to apply the work around again. This is not a deal breaker, primarily because of the otherwise high quality and useful functionality of the products but it is something to be aware of.

Thanks Steve, that was helpful.

Regards,

I have been using the IPad for flight, with foreflight, since they were first available. I have always used the internal iPad gps.
With the iPad I, I used to drop the gps signals on a regular basis. With the iPad III I have not lost a gps signal in around 200 flight hours. It acquires my position quickly and is at least as accurate as my certified Garmin equipment. The ipad spends it's time held on my left thigh with a simple elastic strap. In this position it is somewhat hidden from the direct sky and still gets great gps reception.
If on cross country flights, I use a dedicated USB 2.1 amp power port.

Obstacle "enhancement"?

So, one of the enhancments to the ForeFlight software was the inclusion of obtacles. All that it seems to do is put another obtacle symbol over the existing obtacle symbol that is already on the VFR chart. There isn't any additional information available when you tap on it. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. They show up on the IFR high and low charts where they were not before but if IFR you should be well above them anyway.

I don't see the "enhancement" yet.

So, one of the enhancments to the ForeFlight software was the inclusion of obtacles. All that it seems to do is put another obtacle symbol over the existing obtacle symbol that is already on the VFR chart. There isn't any additional information available when you tap on it. Am I missing something here?

I think you would need to imagine what is 'possible' now that the data is there as opposed to just displaying a graphic. Collision avoidance with audio out...?

I think you would need to imagine what is 'possible' now that the data is there as opposed to just displaying a graphic. Collision avoidance with audio out...?

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. Very interesting indeed. Kind of like that nice Fore Flight lady that warns you of a runway you're getting close to. It seems to me it would be very easy to have that same lady tell me about obstructions too.

WingX Pro has been displaying obstacles for a while. You get a warning if there is an obstacle on your heading a few minutes ahead, and at or above your present GPS altitude. We've got a few pretty tall towers around here, so this is something nice to have.