AlpineYoda

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm working on adding the piano hinges to the front end of the fuselage of the RV-10, where the cowl will attach.

Page 41Q-7 says to cut a number of shims from 0.020 thick 2024-T3 aluminum. I don't think I see any of this in the box of parts and I don't see this particular material listed in the inventory list (unless I'm missing it).

I do have two pieces of thin aluminum strips labeled F10107, about 3 feet long, which the inventory lists as rivet backing. The shims on 41Q-7 are 1/2 inch wide, while F10107 is 5/8 inches wide.

Two questions:
1, what do I use for the shims behind the piano hinges? Did I overlook the part in the box? Do I cut these from scrap? Do I have to source these somewhere else?
2, Assuming the F10107 is NOT the material for this shim, what is it used for? I've glanced ahead a few sections and I don't see it used in the cabin cover or anything else.

Last edited:
The cabin top definitely gets rivet backing strips; Both for the horizontal pop rivet area on each side, as well as the far aft hump. I remember this being .025 not .020 but my memory may not be trustworthy.

Sorry, but don't remember how the .020 stock was provided, though I know it was in the kit and didn't order it separately. Also remember them not being straight either.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks - I will look again in the box. Maybe I missed them. I'm guessing they are rather small.

Worst case, I have the old skin from my vertical stabilizer on hand since I bought a re-do skin. I think that is a little thicker than 0.02, but I can cut pieces of that.

I don't remember what I used, but my best guess is that I made the shims from the one of the aluminum pieces included with one of the kits (I think it may have been the empennage kit?) as scrap/practice material. These are pieces about 12" x 4" of various thickness that are bundled with masking tape. These pieces are not marked with a part number but are called out on the kit inventory.

Hope this makes sense and helps