MrNomad

Well Known Member
We're building an RV9A with an O-360 engine. The Vetterman exhaust is installed and that exhaust has two mufflers.

If you look at the pictures on the link below, note that the exhaust pipes come together versus pointing straight back. No matter how we rotate the pipes, they will not point straight back.

Is this ok? Any comments are welcome.

Barry
Tucson

http://www.arizonaairparks.com/rv-exhaust.htm

OK

Hi Barry,
Our -6A with the Vetterman system looks just like yours.....not to worry. This way gives you more clearance from the lower cowl where the exit opening goes vertically up to the cowl. Be sure and buy some hi-temp aluminum foil from Van's or Spruce and line the cowl at the closest points to the exhausts or your cowl will get blistered.

Regards,

Can you post some pictures without the cowl? I've seen some with inward alignment, but yours seems extreme. Also, they will hit the belly skin if they remain so close.

Revised photos of Vetterman exhaust

AlexPeterson said:
Can you post some pictures without the cowl? I've seen some with inward alignment, but yours seems extreme. Also, they will hit the belly skin if they remain so close.

I added three pics to the web page w/o the cowl. After installing the hangars, the pipes are 1/2" from the belly. The stainless hangar tubes were flared to prevent the hose from slipping off.

Also, I recall that there is a formula to be used of white pigment, WEST Epoxy, and a reducer which is used to paint the inside of the cowl. If you know that formula & reducer, please post.

Yes, I will order some foil and protect the cowl from the exhaust. I appreciate any feedback. The goal is safety and fun.

http://www.arizonaairparks.com/rv-exhaust.htm

Thanks.

exhaust pointing in

Does it make any difference if the exhaust points toward the center? I'm a ways from putting exhaust on an engine I don't have yet but it would be nice to know if this is a problem.

Performance wise this is not a problem. Only if it bothers you cosmetically.

I have the older style Vetterman exhaust without the mufflers. Those pipes do come out straight. I wonder if the mufflers are causing an offset that does not allow the pipes to go straight back. Sometimes you need to rotate things and reorient them to get a better fit. I have a heat muff on one of my pipes, but it does not look as big as the new mufflers. I know I did a lot of fiddling around to finally get mine to sit nice.

Roberta