nippaero

Well Known Member
Gents,
I am new to building and have been close to purchasing a new RV7 kit. However, I came across what I believe to be a good deal on a partial built RV4 from a friend. At this time I am torn about which way to go. But since this is all new for me, I do have a few questions on the RV4.

The engine is a yellow tagged IO-360 with 50 SMOH. According to the logs, it was preserved with oil and has been in a crate for about 15 years. Are there issues with an engine sitting in a crate for this long of a time? Is there anything I should pay attention to when inspecting this thing?

I am told the propeller is a Hartzell CS. 0 SMOH with no logs. It it all silver in color almost like stainless. Is there a way to identify the propeller by the numbers on it? It doesn't say Hartzell anywhere. I can upload some pictures as soon as I figure out how.

Any pointers would be great.

Last edited:
Quick reply since no one else has. Yes, big issue is corrosion after sitting 15 years, even if pickled properly ala Lycoming. Also, seals dry out. Has the infamous oil pump AD been done? Don't know for sure? It hasn't, then. At a minimum I would pull a cylinder and look inside the case, esp the camshaft. Prop is a big unknown. Hartzell says overhaul these every so many years regardless of TT, I think it is six years. So it needs an OH. Figure on at least $1K if everything is OK. Could be complete junk, though. Only a prop shop can say after a tear down. Also, this isn't the the engine Vans recommends for the 4. An 0-360 weighs more than the 0-320 but many people have done it at least the 180 version. I know a guy who built a 200 hp 4 and he confessed to me that he enjoys the perfomance but wouldn't do it again. Had to make a whole new cowling and it is too short legged for fuel. Personally, I would pass. This could be nothing but a money pit. I wouldn't pay more than core value for the engine, and the prop may be worthless. However, if you want an expensive education this could be the way to go. Good Luck.

Tell your friend I'll take the items off his hands right now for $5,000, despite the corrosion and AD non-compliance!

Seriously, if preserved half-decently and kept out of gross exposure to moisture, it may essentially be ready to run. I got mine off a plane sitting in a soggy Southeast Texas hangar after having sat "unpreserved" for a number of years and it had essentially no corrosion when I tore it down.

As for that engine, don't go yanking cylinders off just yet! Pull the plugs and shine a flash light in there and take a look. Pull the mags and take a look at the accessory gears. Take a look at the crank.

That looks just like my Hartzell HC-C2YL prop. As for the Hartzell mandatory time-based overhaul, I'd have a hard time with that on a prop with little or no time. Aside from the dust, it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Last edited:
Thanks for the honest info. Honestly, the more research I do on the 4, the more I think an o-320 is a better fit for the plane. I guess it is up to what your flying style is. Wring it out fun or patch flying/cross country. It seams the range is somewhat limited on the 4 with the bigger engine.

I lay awake at night wondering if I am getting into a money pit. My wife thinks I should just go with a new kit and overhaul my own engine so I am sure hat I am getting in to.

Side by side with pax....

If anticipating the wife, others, frequently riding along, get a side by side RV, regardless of exact model, engine, etc.. Notwithstanding, getting an IO-360 on an RV-4 will be educational, to say the least, unless you're a VERY experienced builder. My two cents......

Keep in mind that a partially built 4 that is say 1/2 completed it might take longer to build than a new 7 due to pre-punch parts ect. How much metal work is left to do?

Recently I've had the pleasure to log quite a few hours in a 7 and a 4 and I've taken long cross country trips in both within the past few months. They are both fantastic , but they are different.

A 7 takes a lot more baggage, is more roomy, more condusive to taking trips. It is really fun to fly. The 7 I fly has a IO360 200HP with Harzell CS prop. It easily cruises above 200 MPH. Several times climbs out performance has resulted in others in the pattern or control tower asking "how much horsepower do you have in that thing"?

The 4 also a good cross country bird, but is limited in baggage and rear seat weight capbility. If you are small you will find it comfy. If you are big, you might not. It is more fun to fly when you are screaming around the patch in full Walter Mitty mode. The 4 I fly has an 150HP O320 with a sensi wood prop. It is 20-30MPH slower than the 7 and does not have the nearly climb or short feild performace. This is due to the difference in engine and prop. Il believe that given the same power and prop, the 4 would outperform the 7, but I've heard from knowledeable 4 drivers that with a heavy engine and prop they lose some of the delightful handling, though I have no first hand experience with a big engine in a 4. I think weight is really imporant in any RV, but especially a 4. Personally I would stick with an O320 in a 4 and go with a light prop.

Both are really sweet rides. The 4 gets the nod for sport flying and the 7 gets the nod for cross country utility in my book. I would advise you to go for exactly what fits you intended mission profile. Don't compromise on anything.

Regards,
Dale

Last edited:
We'll my laying awake at night has gotten the better of me. My wife and I are heading to Oregon the the 22nd-23rd to look over the new kits and take a ride in a 7. It's only about 450 miles from Boise. She definitely feels I should go with an all new kit that sits side by side. I guess staring at the back of my head doesn't sound too appealing. So I must listen to the boss :D

I'll let you know if I end up placing an order when I am there. The lady on the phone yesterday told me the lead time is about 8 weeks right now on a kit and almost 3 months on the QB 7.

Hello Mike

Your profile says that you were interested in the RV10. If aerobatics is not your thing then you might want to look into the RV9A. It is the closest to the RV10, but with only two seats.

It flies a little slower then the -7, both on the top and bottom end. Should save you some money on flying expenses and a little easier to fly.

If you want to get together when you come to Vans, give me a call.

Kent Byerley
503-706-2618 cell
or
byerley(at)web-ster.com

replace the (at) with @ above.

Kent

Kent,
Thanks for the info. I went in and edited my profile so now I should be up to date. I am surprised at the amount of feedback and encouragement I have received from the VAF group via email, PM, etc. since joining this forum.

I have come to the conclusion that a new kit is the best fit for my situation. I just feel better knowing that I built the whole thing myself. Now I am dedicating my time researching the 7 and 9 to determine what is the best fit. That's a tough decision.. :eek: