DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I am confused on figure 2 page 10-03 and figure 2 on 10-04.
Page 10-03 figure 2 nutplate area says machine countersink 16 places AN426AD3. Page 10-04 figure 2 show which rivets go in each hole, and the top 2 nutplaces use AN426AD3 as expected, but the bottom two nutplates call for CCR-284SS-3-2 rivets! No reason I can see, and looking at others logs, it appears they used the solid rivets on all plates.
Also the top 3 holes in fig 2, page 10-3 should be countersink AN426AD4, yet on page 10-04 those top three holes are filled with a non countersink rivet AN426AD-4.
Reckon this is an error, not sure which one to use.

I am confused on figure 2 page 10-03 and figure 2 on 10-04.
Page 10-03 figure 2 nutplate area says machine countersink 16 places AN426AD3. Page 10-04 figure 2 show which rivets go in each hole, and the top 2 nutplaces use AN426AD3 as expected, but the bottom two nutplates call for CCR-284SS-3-2 rivets! No reason I can see, and looking at others logs, it appears they used the solid rivets on all plates.
Also the top 3 holes in fig 2, page 10-3 should be countersink AN426AD4, yet on page 10-04 those top three holes are filled with a non countersink rivet AN426AD-4.
Reckon this is an error, not sure which one to use.

Don,

As I remember it, those 8 CCR pop rivets were used because it is hard or impossible to get the squeezer with the 3" jaw in there to squeeze them. My pictures show that I used the CCR's as instructed.

I don't see the inconsistency with the 3 top rivets. Both pages specify AN426AD4, and the second page specifies the length as -4.

John

Ask and you shall recieve!

Don occasionally Vans will call for the use of CCR-264SS-3-2 because you will not be able to reach that location with your Hand rivet squeezer. That is why! You should use the flush Rivets in the top 3 holes because that is where the Vertical Stab will go when mounted and it will rub on the AN470AD4-4 Rivet heads. The part number that goes there is the VS-1203 Rear Spar. See Section 11-02. You seem like you are moving very fast. Keep up the good work.;)

Last edited:
The hard copy page I have is dated 09/25/8, but there is a revised page on Van's wegsite dated 10/08/09 that has the added note about cracks if you flute too much. I think the rivet call-outs are the same.

Don,

I don't see the inconsistency with the 3 top rivets. Both pages specify AN426AD4, and the second page specifies the length as -4.

John
The inconsistency comes when you follow page 10-04 (dated 10/8/09) which clearly states that what goes in those countersunk holes - are AN470AD4-4 rivets. This gives you what is in the photo, and don't think that will work!
16c29g5.jpg
[/IMG]

Unclearly states

page 10-04 (dated 10/8/09) which clearly states
Actually page 10-04 un-clearly states that AN426AD4-4 rivets go into those top 3 holes. Compare the legend symbols for AN426AD4-4 and AN470AD4-4. Notice that the symbols are identical but point in different directions.
Joe

Oh boy Check 6

Get the Drill out Dude! Time to practice your Rivet removal technique. Mr A& P do you know how to do that?:eek:
PS Been there done that.

Last edited:
Solid rivets versus pulled rivets

looking at others logs, it appears they used the solid rivets on all plates
Some builders might have the tools required to set solid rivets in hard to reach places. I think that solid rivets look better and cost less and might be stronger. But if one intends to register as E-LSA, the plans should be followed exactly. The rivets that hold nutplates on do not need to be strong because they just keep the nutplate from turning or falling off.
Joe

Yep, Joe had it right! I figured it out for myself finally, tricky to use the same symbol and tilt it slightly to mean something else.
Yep, I have had some recent experience on this kit with drilling out rivets! Got some blood equity in this one though, drilled thru my finger drilling out the wrong rivets - OUCH!!. Splattered blood on my plans to prove it even, us guys on blood thinner and aspirin to keep our stents flowing don't stop bleeding quickly.
OK Jetguy, no snide remarks now :mad:
35b58ig.jpg
[/IMG]!

Oh yeah, by the way, thanks guys for the help to overcome my inattentiveness there. I really appreciated it!

Say the scared words while bleeding on the inside of your Tail cone!

Super glue, quick get the super glue! Just picking on you Buddy. Its a right of passage.:cool: Congratulations, You are now a blood brother to your RV12.:p