Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
Hi all. I have an open ended question to throw on the table.
We are looking at one of two EFIS units that may go in 80888.
The dynon 180 and the advanced 3500. I know that dynon has been out there for some time now and have seen a lot of the small dynon units, but we have not seen any of the big ones Yet either dynon or advanced.
I know the opposet of progress is congress but a little debate here may help us form an oppenion on one or the other.. thanks for you comments.
yours truely R.E.A.III #80888

Robert, welcome to VAF:D

I fly with a buddy who has a AFS 3500, really a great product.

Bright screen, easy to view off axis, lots of neat features, my favorite is the built in W/B screen.

I see you have been a member for a while, although this is your first post------you have probably tried "searching" for info, if not, then it is time to get familiar with that function.

Good luck, these decisions can drive a sane man nuts.

Both companies have good reps, ditto GRT, and dont forget to take a look at MGL.

So, tell us what you are building, and a status report.

I think you need to look around a bit more- overall we've shipped more large screens than small ones! ;)

Technically, the only difference between a small and large screen unit is the screen size. They have the same boards inside, with software that has only differences required to deal with the different screen size. So you shouldn't find that the opinion of the Dynon units varies too much based on the size.

Good luck in your decision making!

Suspission confirmed!!!1

Technically, the only difference between a small and large screen unit is the screen size. They have the same boards inside, with software that has only differences required to deal with the different screen size.

Just exactly what I have always figured.

So, why not sell the electronics box separate, so it can be mounted somewhere out of the way, and feed the screen with a cable????

Two screens even, really nice idea for 4s and 8s----keep the GIB happy.

Sure would allow flexibility, serviceability, upgrade-ability, and the use of a flat (relatively so) readout gives many options to where it can be mounted.

GRT, AFS, MGL, are you listening???

Thanks mike I was off looking at other things, but when I got back you gave me a big smile with your quip.. No I am not new to this site. I just have not been on after D.R. changed to the new format or for that matter 6 or 7 years.
80888 is an 8-A and my weekend get-away there has been no rust to get her up and running. Only that I do the best work I can do or do nothing to her. May be you'll get advanced to chime in to and we can get this descussion lively. R.E.A.III

Where in Houston?

Hello Robert,

Where are located in Houston? We have an RV-6 and an RV-8 here in our hangar at Polly Ranch - the -6 has a Dynon D-180 and a D10A, and the -8 has a Dual GRT HS EFIS. You're welcome to stop by sometime and take a look if you'd like!

I haven't seen any of the Advanced units in operation in the field yet, but they appear to be putting together a good package.

I second Mike's suggestion to search the Glass Cockpit forum - or just browse through the topics - you'll find LOTS of lively debates have already been had....;)

Paul

So, why not sell the electronics box separate, so it can be mounted somewhere out of the way, and feed the screen with a cable????

The wires that go to a screen number about 50, and the signals on them aren't meant to go more than about 5 inches. On top of that, some of the wires carry up to 1600V.

If it were that simple, we would have done it a while ago. The issue is not one of different screens, it's one of distance from the processor or and power supply. We can of course engineer a solution to all of this, but we still don't think the volume of that market justifies the investment.

I can tell you there won't be much of a lively discussion between the principles from all the EFIS mgrs or the vendors in general as we're all off to OSH within the next day or two.

My 2 cents...we sell a lot of all the EFISes. Each have their own things that are good, but again, it's really very difficult to do an apples to apples comparison. The AFS and Dynon units are quite a bit different in many respects, same with GRT. It really depends on what you want to do with the plane, the other avionics being installed, etc.. Best thing is to see them at OSH, and if you can't wait until after because most of us will be fairly quiet for the next week or two (I know, a reprieve from my ramblings)! :)

Cheers,
Stein

I think that Rob (AFS) left yesterday.

I don't have either company's EFIS (I went with BMA), but I do have AFS 2500 engine monitor. :) It has been the only thing in my panel that has not given me problem.:(

If I were doing my panel now I would be looking strongly at Rob's product, because of my experience with his engine monitor.

Kent

TS-07 or kdwh

Hello Robert,

Where are located in Houston? We have an RV-6 and an RV-8 here in our hangar at Polly Ranch - the -6 has a Dynon D-180 and a D10A, and the -8 has a Dual GRT HS EFIS. You're welcome to stop by sometime and take a look if you'd like!

I haven't seen any of the Advanced units in operation in the field yet, but they appear to be putting together a good package.

I second Mike's suggestion to search the Glass Cockpit forum - or just browse through the topics - you'll find LOTS of lively debates have already been had....;)

Paul
Thanks Paul. I was that judge that you met on the ramp at "S.W.R.F.I" last year. Triple 8 hangs out at Hooks for now. As I have been hanging out around there from about 1968 or so. The plan is to do the 40 hrs. under the watchful eye of the Tower and life-flight. Then move her home to the creek later on. I have been looking at the hardware and that is what has led me to pair-down to these two probables. It is good to hear from everyone and see what it is that they are finding out in the field on these two. maybe a few will report back from the Big show. yours as always R.E.A.III