chrispratt

Well Known Member
It's been about five years since I changed tires and tubes. I've always used Condor tires and Michelin Air Stop tubes. When I opened the box for the Air Stop tube I saw a clear bag attached to it with the hardware shown below. I don't recall receiving this the last time I changed tubes. Am I right in guessing that this is meant to act as the hold off hardware for the valve stem, i.e. a nut behind the wheel rim on the inside, and then the larger retainer piece followed by the other nut on the outside of the wheel rim?

sv06r9.jpg
[/IMG]

My Cleveland Wheels have a rubber grommet that acts as the valve stem holder so I don't see the need for the Michelin hardware, but I'm willing to learn a new trick. (Both tubes included the hardware so it's not a fluke.) Perhaps non-Cleveland wheels need this, I don't know.

BTW, if you get frustrated with trying to push the valve stem through the rubber grommet, I found a useful trick (frustration is the real mother of invention). After pushing the valve stem through the grommet so that a little bit of thread shows, you can use one of the supplied Michelin nuts and thread it onto the valve stem. Then use a socket wrench (7/16" as I recall) and wrench away. The valve stem will be pulled through without additional cursing on your part.

Chris

Chris I just installed these tubes and have the hardware laying on bench, did not use it. It appeared it was for a different wheel.

A touch of soapy water or a shot of silicone lubricant on the grommet helps the valve stem through with little effort.

I like talc for rubber lubrication, as it will stay for a while. You already have some handy for the tube/tire cavity. I just did this a few days ago, it does take some finger strength!! I wanted to reach for the pliers, but resisted.