MrNomad

Well Known Member
Lost my indoor hangar space for my flying RV9A. 18 months of work now sits outside. When we complete the 6A, it will be outside too.

Please recommend which fuel tank locks you've used. According to Vans website, their units will not work on my 9A. "These caps will NOT fit the standard fuel tank flanges supplied in Van's kits so they are really only suitable for use if you are building new tanks."

Also, I'd appreciate ideas and suggestions for gas filler anti-tampering, and temporary covers in case of rain.

Finally, my wonderful wife sewed a nice cover for the canopy but I'm thinking of covers for the wings and horiz stab. Ideas and suggestions for material is also welcome.

Thanks.

I believe Andair makes caps to address this very situation, using a proprietary insert and cap that retrofits to the RV tank flange. Check it out on their website.

John Siebold

caps etc.

Barry,
I am a bit concerned with tampering, fuel theft as well....but have't gone to locking caps yet.
I didn't like how rain-water sat in the recess where the stock cap plunger and lever sit, I'm sure keeping this well lubed is the secret to keeping water out from this access point.
I also wanted a visible audit if someone had tampered with the caps, so cut a bunch of about 3" diameter low-tack vinyl circles, and applied them exactly along the rivet heads, and made a couple of reference marks with an ink pen.
No-one messing with it could ever get it back on exactly the same.
They do a pretty good job of keeping water out, but oddly, the water vapour from the tank air? seems to cause some condensation under the decal, and after fueling, I often need to replace the decal, or it just blows off in flight.
One Caveat, the paint ends at the bevelled edge of the filler neck, so little chips caused by the fuel nozzle etc. end up lifting off when your remove the decal for preflight etc.

a couple ideas FWIW

Heavy plastic mats

Thanks Perry. If you come up with any other ideas, please send them along.

At various fueling places the FBO use a heavy plastic mat to protect the paint against the fuel nozzle. They're heavy enough so that they don't blow off in the wind. If I can find a source for these mats (without a hole), I might simply lay one on each wing over the fuel cap. I recognize that a thief can easily steal them or remove them and tamper, but the mats would provide some modicum of warning and rain protection.

Fortunately, it doesn't rain much in Tucson but we do get occasional hail which is why wing covers that are insulated to deflect the impact of the hail are next on the agenda.

I will also check Andair for caps. Thanks John.

If I were of a mind to steal fuel, I wouldn't bother with the cap at all. I'd just remove the drain with an adjustable wrench and drain it into a container. :rolleyes: Not sure a locking cap will prevent fuel theft.

Fuel theft 101

If I were of a mind to steal fuel, I wouldn't bother with the cap at all. I'd just remove the drain with an adjustable wrench and drain it into a container. :rolleyes: Not sure a locking cap will prevent fuel theft.

Pete: Of course, you are correct. It's certainly easier to steal fuel that way versus siphon but not every thief knows what we know, plus a locking cap may also prevent some jerk from doing something nasty.

Thanks for the reply.

Vans has these that will fit in existing tank openings. They look the same as the Andair locking caps. http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...1164011-248-561&browse=misc&product=retro-cap

I put them on my RV-10 and am very happy with the quality. The only issue is when the tanks are filled right up to the top, they sometimes vent some fuel out of the key slot for a few minutes right after takeoff. Other operators have reported this, as well, with these caps.

A friend told me a story about someone that had fuel theft, so he went ahead and put locking caps in. Only to find on the next visit to the airport, that the bottom of the fuel tanks now both had a screw driver hole punched into each.

I dont want any damage to my tanks, so I will leave almost zero fuel in the tanks, and just fill up as needed. It might take me a few more minutes to fill them up, but I dont want to repair a tank.

:(