smoki

I'm New Here
I've narrowed my preliminary choices of airplanes to two from which I will soon make a final choice and proceed with building. They are the RV-9 and RV-12. Presently I'm leaning heavily toward the RV-9 primarily because of its comparatively superior cruise performance. Here's a clue to my dilemma. I'm 25 miles from the nearest airport with an FAA approved hard surface runway. My long range goal will be the preparation of a grass strip on the property (200 acre farm/ranch) to be able to operate from here but not for the initial phase of flight testing in accordance with the airworthiness certificate.

While building and moving the RV-12 from home to the airport after completing the building, inspection, etc. for the initial phase of limited range flight operations is no big deal given it's wing removal and trailering capability, the same obviously can't be said for the RV-9 the wings of which are fixed and not easily removed.

I'm curious to know how others may have coped with a similar situation in building their airplane at home (other than an RV-12) and subsequently moving it to a suitable airport from which to operate it. Did you rent space at an airport and complete the build there or did you trailer the airplane sans wings and install the wings at the airport or something else? Please advise. Thanks in advance for any help/advice you are able to provide.

Most people who build at home make a transition to the airport after completing everything they have room for. If you have a place to get the plane fully assembled at the farm (a shop or hangar), you could do full assembly and even engine first run before going to the airport. You could just pin the wings at the farm and then remove them for transport to the airport and do the final assembly and torquing at the airport.

The -12 is a nice plane, but the -9 is superior in many ways. The main benefit of the -12, as I see it, is the Sport Pilot option.

I moved my 7A to the airport about 5-6 weeks ahead of the first flight.
It really makes it handy to spend 15-20 minutes here and there if the project is at home. It's amazing how much I got done in small time chunks that would not be possible if it was even 10 minutes away.

If the final objective is to fly into and out of a grass strip a 9 vs. a 9A or 12 may be a better selection.

Currently building a 9A so I may not be the best source for this advice.

Love the prospect of long fast trips

Like Jason said, you simply build as much as you can at home. Then transport to the airport for final assembly.

My RV-10 spent the first four years in the garage and the last two at the airport. The build speed will drop significantly after moving to the airport due to the time traveling to and from the airport. You also be less motivated to travel to the airport for short work sessions.

Btw, I don't believe that there is any limitation from preventing phase I from being flown from your grass strip as long as it isn't in a congested area. With 200 acres, that probably isn't an issue.

Will need a hanger. But just for a short time

I moved my 10 to the hanger after doing everything I could reasonably do in I'm 2 car garage. Had the DAR inspection 1 week later , and first flight 1 week after that. Phase. 1 took 5 weeks, but I was out of town for 10 days during that time. You do need somewhere for final assembly of a 9, but it only has to be for a short while

I would not let wing removal keep me from the -9. I made a couple of tables that fit the wings with the proper tilt and I can slide them in with minimal trouble. I have had them on and off a couple of times by myself. I put them on and got them fitted, then took them off to make it easier to work around the plane. If you have some help you can get easily you won't need special tables.

build once, fly forever!

There are many ways around build & assembly obstacles as you've laid out.
Once done, that will seem almost trivial.
The 12 may be the perfect plane, if you're older, want the LSA option, and keep the turf strip smooth & grass short.
I think the 9 with fat tires and a 180 hp CS would let you explore almost any grass strip in the country ( within reason!) and pack enough to overnite there.
....as folks much smarter than me say....try to establish your mission....and realize that it's likely to change, over time, & with experience anyway!! :)

I had the wings on and off of my 7A (pretty much same attachment as 9 I believe) two or three times during the build phase at my home. Using the hardware bolts for build assy per the plans makes this is a 20 minute non-issue to take the wings off. Final assy at the hangar can be a little work but again, everybody that built one had to do it.