JHartline

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm getting ready to do my trim tab and elevator assembly and I need to get some pro-seal for the foam ribs. I just need enough to do the ribs so I don't want to get the big container yet. Does anyone know if the smaller tubes that Vans and/or Spruce sells have to be used all at once or can you use them over a period of a couple of weeks.

Also, if there's a suitable alternative that has a shorter cure time I would be interested in that as well. Thanks!!

Proseal

I'm not building a 14 empennage but did buy the smaller two part container of sealer from Vans for my 7. Store in the freezer for a year. Cure time can be made a little faster by keeping parts inside. Mixing Proseal is no big deal. I don't know how long the cartridges can be stored once mixed but I suspect not very long.

Last edited:
You could purchase a couple of the 1 oz size kits shown HERE

It is B1/2 so it will cure faster than the B2 (2 hr work time) commonly used for assembling the fuel tanks.

If you have a small gram scale that would allow you to measure out a 10:1 ratio, you wouldn't have to mix up the entire cup.

1 ouncer

Use the 1 ouncer from Vans. It will be plenty for the little foam ribs, but not enough for the trailing edges too (both elevators), so you may need a few. For a while there, I usually kept at least one of these little guys in the frisge at all times for little jobs like this. Keep it cold and it will give you a little more work time.

Pro seal

Thanks guys - yes, I only need the sealant for the ribs since I'm using the 3M tape for the TE. I used it on the rudder and the trailing edge came out very nice. :D

Did trim tab ribs with elevators...

I used two of the 1oz pre-measured kits to do both elevators and the trim tab at the same time. If I had worked faster and more precisely, I could have barely done it with one.

As it was, I had to mix the reserve one to have enough to finish the second elevator.