agirard7a

Well Known Member
I am interested in getting my AP. Is is possible to get just the "P" portion?
What is the quickest way of getting either the AP or if possible just the "P"?
Thanks, Al.

Just have a P

I got my P over a (three) decades ago. I went to an occupational center here on the west coast. The A portion was another year of nights and I decided a girl was more interesting at the time. (should of got the A and dumped the girl!). I think there are still two ways to do it: first is a school with a fixed curriculum and a time clock; another is a school that teaches the material, and skills are tested as you go without tracking time, but a practical test is required. I wish i had both the A and P... now.

Working on my A&P

When you go for your A&P, you get either the A or the P first. After you have the A or P in hand, you add the one you did not do to the certificate that you already hold.

In order to get either one, you also have to do the General portion of the test (written, oral & practical) at the same time that you go for the A or the P.

The best deals are found at community colleges that offer A&P programs. You'll pay big bucks to the private for profit schools.

The college I'm attending has a well respected program. I started in January and at the end of this year I'll qualify to test for the "A" part of the certificate (I just finished summer school today and I get a whole week off before the fall term starts:))

My school does allow getting the "P' first, but "on track" students ( those who follow the program as designed and get the "A" first) get first choice of classes.

Here's a link to all the schools that offer A&P training: http://av-info.faa.gov/MaintenanceSchool.asp

I am interested in getting my AP. Is is possible to get just the "P" portion?
What is the quickest way of getting either the AP or if possible just the "P"?
Thanks, Al.

There are actually THREE (3) parts.

GENERAL
AIRFRAME
POWERPLANT

You need the GENERAL with just the A or with just the P. Yes you need 2/3rd of the material to get 1/2 the rating. There are Written, Oral, and Practical Tests for all three. (or at least there was when I did mine)

I did the General and Powerplant written first. I went back a 2nd time for the Airframe Written then took the Oral and Practical for all three (3).

If you have an Engineering background, the General is just a science refresher of stuff you should already know.

Get paid

We have some helpers working on there A&P's where I work. Thirty months total with a training log to qualify to test. All the tests and study guides are public knowledge as it is a government publication. I paid about 17K in 1981 for 15 monthsin the classroom to qualify to test.
Why do you want the certificate? Don't get me wrong, I love my job, just be aware that if you want to make a living, nights weekeds and holidays are common until dues are paid.

I've got just the A part.

FYI, certain military training, at least for the enlisted grades, provides the proper background to qualify for taking the exams. You still have to actually take and pass the exams.

Dave

If you have an Engineering background, the General is just a science refresher of stuff you should already know.

Parts of the General are just a science refresher but that's only about 1/2 the General. I learned a lot about Maintenance FARs that was totally new to me. There is W&B for A&P's that is different then doing W&B as a pilot. Also a lot on aircraft hardware & materials, basic electricity, etc - which was pretty easy after having built my plane. Actually, none of it (so far) is particularly difficult but there is a lot of information that you have to learn and remember - at least until you pass the exams.

Get Both the A and P

I receive my A&P many years ago....Quick story; My friend only got a Powerplant cert, when we where thru with are training I got a job right away and it took him 9 months to get his and the company that hired him made him ago get the Airframe cert. anyway. I did mine at a school, 18 months 7 hours day 5 days a week at night plus I worked my full time job in a manufacturing plant. ?Yes the good old days? My point is if you are going to put in that much effort you might as well get both. I took my A&P and went to another school that gave me credits for having the A&P and a year later I had an AA degree in Aviation Maintenance, which in turn opened more doors for me. I have never been out of a job since I received my A&P 30 some years ago.