ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I'd like to put a checkerboard on the rudder of my RV-4.

ouxthf.jpg

Is it possible for a decal company to print the checkerboard on a clear sheet of vinyl, that I could then cover the complete rudder with?

Or do I need to get separate vinyl squares and apply them individually?

Is there a standard size of the squares, like 3" or 4"

How is the vinyl secured to the painted metal of the rudder? Is an adhesive used, or do they just "stay" attached by some natural mechanism?

Thanks,

Last edited:
The vinyl is cut on a computer-controlled cutter, similar to a plotter. The squares that will not be used are removed in an operation called "weeding." The remaining squares are covered with a transfer material with a medium-strong adhesive. This is peeled away from the backing material as the backing material is coated with something to allow the vinyl to pull away easily. The transfer material and vinyl squares are positioned, pressed/rolled onto the metal, and the transfer material peeled off. The bond metal-to-vinyl is very strong. Usually a mist is sprayed on the metal to allow air bubbles to be rolled out, but this depends on the person doing the decal, and is where the real skill comes into play.

I hope that helps. I have done a few planes, including my own. I love vinyl!

Bob

pretty cool process

if your rudder is painted white or whatever other color you want... I draw a bunch of squares on the program and say cut. It cuts the squares, I then remove the other squares (called weeding) and put it on transfer paper. You then peel off the first coat of paper and lay it on.
Best
Brian

Bob and Brian,

Thanks for the quick responses!

Any suggestions whom to contact to have the checkerboard made? Any idea of costs?

Brian, do you do this? If you are in Lakeland then you are not far from me, I live in Salt Springs and my RV-4 is based at Palatka, 28J.

application gel solution

I put full length vinyl stripes on my 7, the first attempt on the wheel pants was ruined because as soon as the adhesive attaches it stuck fast and I stretched the vinyl trying to move it. I figured the decal the length of the plane would be mission impossible but a friend of mine who is in the decal business gave me a bottle of a gel like substance that you brush on the adhesive side of the decal which lets you slide the decal into place and then you squeegee out the gel and the air bubbles. It works like a champ and I would recommend you look into that product so you can get the checkerboard exactly where you want it.
Mine was in a clear bottle so I do not know what it is called.

Chris,

Check with any local sign shop. This is nothing special to them and they may even help you install it. I know they would do it for a price.

Make Your Own Gel

The gel can be as simple as water with a drop or two of dish soap to break surface tension. Spray it on first, slide the decal around until it is in the right place and squeegee the vinyl from the center outward with a plastic bondo applicator to remove bubbles. Wait until dry and peel off the paper backing. Maybe you could ask for the scrap pieces to practice with at first.

Also, you can create the checkerboard pattern on a single piece of vinyl (both colors) and apply it instead of (or over) paint. Then all the squares will be perfectly aligned, and it should work well on a flat surface such as the rudder.

Be aware that vinyl is relatively heavy, though.