Brantel

Well Known Member
Simple but not so obvious question for those flying with tipups....

How the heck do you close that thing when seated and ready to go? The canopy seems to flimsy to pull down on the one side you can reach and the handle is way out of reach in the center.

I see on the Orndorf video that George has a lanyard on his to pull on but I don't like that idea nor do I see anything like this in all the pics of tipups.

I do not have the front fairing glassed in yet but do have the struts and reinforcement kit in. I have not tried it yet with the bubble on so it may be that this thing gets much more stiff when all that is final.

I dont have one, but flew in one... He just pulled it down from the handle when he was sliding down into the seat and left it cracked open while he strapped in... then after runup, went ahead and latched it... Not sure if that answered your question or not...

Brian,
I have an early tip-up without any of the forward bracing. It is the flimsiest of them all. I first pull down on the side rail until I can reach the center handle. Then lower it with the handle. I also don't have the struts.

Brian,
I have an early tip-up without any of the forward bracing. It is the flimsiest of them all. I first pull down on the side rail until I can reach the center handle. Then lower it with the handle. I also don't have the struts.

:confused: Forgive me Mel as I'm just being curious... I have never seen the style of tip-up you are talking about... (without struts) Then again, I've only seen about 4 RV's in person! Is there some sort of brace that keeps it open or something?

I do the same as Mel, and I have the newer style with struts and bracing. It is no big deal at all.

:confused: Forgive me Mel as I'm just being curious... I have never seen the style of tip-up you are talking about... (without struts) Then again, I've only seen about 4 RV's in person! Is there some sort of brace that keeps it open or something?

Same type of question but also: What stops it from going too far open and bending the snot out of the front top skin?

The original tip-up has a brace similar to an old style hood brace. When you raise the canopy, you snap the rod in place. To close the canopy, you remove pressure and disconnect the brace. Now the canopy is free to be jettisoned if needed.
The operator keeps it from opening too far!
Daniel, You need to come over and take a look. Not that far from Little Elm. About 18 miles east of McKinney.
972-784-7544

Last edited:
It's the gas struts

that keep it from opening too far. To close it all you have to do is pull on the side until you can reach the center handle, then lower it down. Opening is easier, push up on the center, then the side and the gas struts will take over for you. The canopy will get a lot stiffer with the plexi installed.

Bruce Reynolds RV-6A
tip-up

Thanks Bruce,

Had that figured on mine with the struts but I was asking Mel about his which has no struts. I was mostly worried that you could not pull it down with one side because of the flex. Looks like after it is complete, it must get a ton more stiff.

that keep it from opening too far. To close it all you have to do is pull on the side until you can reach the center handle, then lower it down. Opening is easier, push up on the center, then the side and the gas struts will take over for you. The canopy will get a lot stiffer with the plexi installed.

Bruce Reynolds RV-6A
tip-up

The original tip-up has a brace similar to an old style hood brace. When you raise the canopy, you snap the rod in place. To close the canopy, you remove pressure and disconnect the brace. Now the canopy is free to be jettisoned if needed.
The operator keeps it from opening too far!
Daniel, You need to come over and take a look. Not that far from Little Elm. About 18 miles east of McKinney.
972-784-7544

I'm going to take you up on your offer Mel! I must warn you... I'm like a stray cat when it comes to airplanes... if you feed my appetite, you might not be able to get rid of me!! :D

I'll give you a call next week when my spar and counterbalance rib comes in so I can bring it with me... I'm going to need your expertise on getting these two rivets to set correctly! (If you don't mind of course!)

Take a look at Van's web site for today...Hobbs meter / first flight section. The third posting down shows a tip-up in the up position with the pilot holding onto the lower canopy frame. This may address some of your concerns.

I have a -6A (99% complete) and the canopy is fairly rigid. I close it by pulling on the frame just as is shown in the photo. It does not cause the canopy or frame to rack to any significant degree.

I'm going to take you up on your offer Mel! I must warn you... I'm like a stray cat when it comes to airplanes... if you feed my appetite, you might not be able to get rid of me!! :D

I'll give you a call next week when my spar and counterbalance rib comes in so I can bring it with me... I'm going to need your expertise on getting these two rivets to set correctly! (If you don't mind of course!)
You bet. Come on out. I don't really like to talk about airplanes, but if you twist my arm juuuust right.....
Be sure to call first. I'm pretty busy with inspections.

...I first pull down on the side rail until I can reach the center handle. Then lower it with the handle. I also don't have the struts.
Funny. When I first saw this thread I thought "what is the problem" I just reach up for the handle. On further reflection I guess I do reach for the side of the canopy and pull it down until the handle is in reach. Funny how it just becomes automatic until you don't know what you do!

Little burst of power...

...makes it come down also. I just catch it - it drops about 2-3 inches and makes contact w/my fingers.