flyenforfun

Well Known Member
Hey everyone,

Just purchased a Dynon Skyview with a 10 inch screen. I have the screen hole cut out and the screen is mounted, but wanted to see if anyone could give me some pictures/ideas on where to mount GPS antenna, ADAHRS, transponder module, engine monitoring module, etc. I want to get moving on the wiring of this thing but figure i need to mount all of the components first. Really appreciate the help, thanks in advance.

-Matt

I've got a 10" I mounted in a 6. The best place to mount the ADAHARS is behind the baggage compartment (make a tray for it--upper, center). If you call Dynon, they are very familiar with RV installs and will insist you put it there.
GPS antenna--2 most common spots are on top of glareshield or on engine side of firewall.
EMS/GPS/EXT Battery/XPNDR--all can go between panel and subpanel.
Good luck--it's not a bad install overall and well worth the labor--it's a great unit!!
Sorry, I didn't have any install pics other than the panel itself.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flybuddy/

Last edited:
I've got a 10" I mounted in a 6. The best place to mount the ADAHARS is behind the baggage compartment (make a tray for it--upper, center). If you call Dynon, they are very familiar with RV installs and will insist you put it there.
GPS antenna--2 most common spots are on top of glareshield or on engine side of firewall.
EMS/GPS/EXT Battery/XPNDR--all can go between panel and subpanel.
Good luck--it's not a bad install overall and well worth the labor--it's a great unit!!
Sorry, I didn't have any install pics other than the panel itself.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flybuddy/

Sound like good suggestions to me. Still hoping to get a little more detail on the location of this tray or bracket for the ADAHRS. I saw one picture on here it looked as if the builder had used two pieces of angle between the longerons and attached directly to those. Is that a good idea? Can I put holes in the longerons?

I'm building a 9A, so my Skyview install may not help you out much. Also, I'm not flying yet. I did this part of the install in December '10, you can find blog entries on the web page and more pictures in the picasa link on my page.

One item I would do different is not to put the transponder behind the panel. The critical part of installing it is the length of the cable to the antenna. Using RG400, you have a limit of about 8 feet of cable. Since the other connections are power/ground and serial port lines, you can put this box almost anywhere it won't overheat. Weight is almost a non-issue, it weighs less than a pound.

I don't know how this would work for a 8, but you should consider putting the transponder module somewhere much closer to the antenna location. This has the advantage of freeing up valuable space behind the panel.

I am the builder of the airplane of the picture which Airbuddy2 was talking about. After 25 hours flying I can say that that location is OK. Maybe, as suggested by Stein (Steinair), should I make it again, I will use a thicker aluminium sheet.

Engine module, on the firewall (panel side), with foam between the firewall and the unit.

GPS antenna over the panel skin, under the windshield (not too close to its forward edge).

You will also like to install a backup battery for the unit. It allows you to switch the unit on with its own power before cranking the engine and look for data before start up (fuel) and immediately after (oil pressure rise). Battery module close to the screen. I installed it on the web of the middle panel rib.