MNAv8or

Well Known Member
Hello All!

I have something that I wanted to run by everyone on the forum and see what they thought and get some opinions. I have been talking with some EAA builders around the area and seem to see somewhat of a theme starting to rise up among some of the builders I have spoken with. They seem to be burning out somewhat on their projects. It seems that by the time they get to the fuse part of the build they are ready to be done and fly. So it got me thinking which is a dangerous thing!

I am an A&P mechanic with my IA and have rebuilt 5 aircraft from different parts of damage back to flight condition or in the case of an RV8 I rebuilt, I did all the sheet metal work for the new owner to the point all they had to do was add their engine/avionics and go. Also have done numerous sheet metal jobs while working for different shops the past 10 years. I have found that I love to build!

What I am thinking of doing is purchasing a fuse kit for an RV8, or some model of Vans. I loved rebuilding the 8 that I did and the ease and fun of construction is keeping me in the Vans family for building. Then taking the fuse to right about the point of what a quick build status would be or to complete the fuse all together and then sell the kit to a builder who may be to the point of finishing their wings and tired of building and want a shot in the arm so to speak to get the aircraft done.

Building would include all photos and documentation of the build. This would be no different then buying a project from someone who got tired of building and decided to sell it. The price would be right around Vans charges for a quick build kit. It would not fall into the illegal aspect of it as I would purchase the kit and not receive any funds until I sold it. I just love the building aspect of aircraft and love restoring airplanes. I thought this might be a fun way to build and help out a fellow EAA builder utilizing the Aviation/Sheetmetal experience I have gained over the years.

Just looking for opinions on if there would be any interest in this idea? If there is significant amount of response from people I might just put a deposit down on a fuse kit. If not, I may just anyways and build my own!

Well, it seems you're going about it the right way, in terms of pre-arranging a buyer. This way you could expect to get paid about the equivalent to that of a factory QB. If you we're to build it unannounced and then try and sell it you MAYBE get halfway between the SB and QB price. Fortunately for the buyer who decides to go this route, I suspect they would get a bit nicer product than the QB. I have no beef with my QB, but it ain't no Lindy. Additionally, you or the buyer could choose some subtle and easy upgrades that would make it superior. Such as, an epoxy Primer, a fancy cockpit paint, or something as simple as leaving the blue film on (except at the rivet lines). One inherent benefit would be the fact that it wouldn't need to be coated in WD-40 to ship it across an ocean. (I bet only the QBer's know about having to remove this nasty film after it arrives!). Sounds like a win-win to me. Good Luck.

I think your talents would be of great use to an RV builder. Your proposal is a great idea, but I would have been more interested in your help during the build. I suggest that you consider that as an option also.

These are amazing airplanes, and many builders would appreciate expert help with their projects.

Center section

Not sure about the 8 but in my 7 kit the center section came with the wing kit. If you build the fuse kit first, how are the spars matched to the center section? Just a thought.

Hired guns that help (or complete themselves) projects that are already started are pretty common. It also allows you to work with someone else's money instead of your own.

I would not be opposed to helping out one bit. I volunteer with a couple Experimentals on the field here at Centennial along with starting to get into the Warbird side of aviation. I just enjoy building and thought it would be a fun way for me to get my building fix along with another builder ending up with something that could be custom tailored to their liking.

I posted it in the 8 section for the fact that I knew you didn't need to match drill the center section. :) The 8 that I rebuilt was able to be matched up to a new set of wings with out a problem. I am open to other models or not just doing the fuse (maybe a wing here or a tail there) I just know the 8 as that is one that i have done already.

I really appreciate all the opinions!

(At least with newer kits) matching the center section is no longer an issue due to current mfg. techniques. By Vans

I did a standard built wing, that came with the center section, but decided to do a QB fuse, so I just had to mail my center section back to Vans where they put it back into circulation, maybe send it over to the QB factory to be incorporated in a future plane.

(As I understand this was not the case several years ago, you did indeed need numbers matching wing spars and center section... Not anymore)

Pat, there are quite a few builder assist type guys on here and the end product is well done and quickly. If you have a hangar, or access to one, you'd be good to go. A friend of mine has assisted in 16 RV builds and currently has 4 going in his hangar.

Best,

Pierre,

Thanks for the information. Sounds like he has found a niche! I'm not looking to turn this into a business or a money maker. I just enjoy the building process to the point that I don't want 5 airframes just sitting around lol.

The response I have been getting has been very positive and thanks everyone for your opinions. I feel a purchase is in my near future. It will feel good to have another Rv8 in the shop, even if it is only for a short time. If I'm unable to sell it when I'm done, then I may just have to build the rest of the plane!