n82rb

Well Known Member
I'm replacing my mag with a second lightspeed. I assume I have to re enter the plane in phase 1 for test flights. Do I need to contact the fido to get a amount of time it needs to be in phase one. I know you have answered this before, but I can't find it with the search function.

Thanks

Bob burns
Rv-4 N82RB

It all depends on your operating limitations. They are the controlling document. I see that you aircraft was certificated in 2003. Your op lims should allow you to place the aircraft back into phase I yourself. You only need to contact the FSDO for approval of the flight test area and that should not be a problem.

The amount of time is your determination, but there is a minimum of 5 hrs. for any phase I.

thanks mel. just what i needed. i will review my paperwork.

bob burns
rv-4 n82rb

Maybe I missed something but since when is changing a mag to EI considered a "major" change requiring going back into phase 1 :confused:

I see that you aircraft was certificated in 2003. Your op lims should allow you to place the aircraft back into phase I yourself.

Curious - Was there something date-wise where op-lims in an aircraft's certification changed related to the owner putting the plane back in phase one themselves? Is it the same of different today?

a long way from major change...

My understanding is that this is the sort of item that falls far outside the idea and spirit of a 'major change' requiring any sort of special approval.