gbrasch

Well Known Member
Having a conversation with our A&P at work, who says once an experimental is signed off by the FAA, the owner cannot change out, for example an engine with another type of engine without another approval from the FAA. I disagree, but am not sure. Opinions? Thanks in advance. Glenn

Actually he is essentially correct per my understanding. The experimental operating limitations carry this language:

19. After incorporating a major change as described in FAR 21.93, the aircraft owner is required to reestablish compliance with FAR 91.319(b) and notify the geographically responsible FSDO of the location of the proposed test area.

The aircraft owner must obtain concurrence from the FSDO as to the suitability of the proposed test area. If the major change includes installing a different type of engine (reciprocating to turbine) or a change of a fixed-pitch from or to a controllable propeller, the aircraft owner must fill out a revised Form 8130-6 to update the aircraft?s file in the FAAAircraft Registration Branch.

Major change defined by FAR 23:

(a) In addition to changes in type design specified in paragraph (b) of this section, changes in type design are classified as minor and major. A "minor change" is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are "major changes

Strictly speaking you're not getting "approval" for the change; when I changed props I got a letter from the FSDO saying they had "no objection" and specifying 5 hours of Phase I testing. After that I had to enter the appropriate "safe condition for operation" language in the logs.

Having a conversation with our A&P at work, who says once an experimental is signed off by the FAA, the owner cannot change out, for example an engine with another type of engine without another approval from the FAA. I disagree, but am not sure. Opinions? Thanks in advance. Glenn

There are multiple versions of experimental operating limits. Older ones probably require FAA approval for major mods. Newer ones may require notification of the FAA. IIRC, mine (from 11 years ago) don't require any notification, but do require putting the airplane back into Phase 1 testing for 5 hours, then a logbook entry.

So, to answer your question, it depends. On some airplanes your A&P is right, on others your position is correct.

There are multiple versions of experimental operating limits. Older ones probably require FAA approval for major mods. Newer ones may require notification of the FAA. IIRC, mine (from 11 years ago) don't require any notification, but do require putting the airplane back into Phase 1 testing for 5 hours, then a logbook entry.

So, to answer your question, it depends. On some airplanes your A&P is right, on others your position is correct.

Kyle has it! YOUR operating limitations is the controlling document for your aircraft. Earlier versions required a recurrent airworthiness inspection. Later versions required no notification at all. Current version allows you to do the mod, but you must notify the FAA and fill out a new 8130-6, airworthiness application to change engine TYPE.

If your operating lims are not the latest version and you would like to update them, you may have them amended to the latest version. The FAA or any DAR with function code 33 can do this.