hecilopter

Well Known Member
I have always wondered this... so I guess I will ask. I have a Superior O-360 carbureted on my -7A with the scoop on the bottom of the cowl.

If I am flying along in the rain (which I rarely do), where does all the water go that gets ingested into the scoop on the bottom of the cowl at 200 mph?

Does it mix with air and go into the engine? surely not........

Cheap Water Injection

Just like water injection on the RENO racers or High horsepower warbirds with high boost, only without the alcohol injection added. I've installed water injection systems to prevent detonation on high compression race engines and flying in the rain is no where close to the amount of water that can actually be injected with a pump and nozzles. It will actually help to clean carbon from your piston tops if you don't over do it which will probably never happen not unless your in a downpour where the visibility is ZERO IFR at 5" a minute of rain +++++,,,, :p . Just make sure your oil temps are up on the high side to boil off the excess moisture in the crankcase. Something I have done on my airbox before the filter is a drain hole at the lowest point,,, mostly for draining water why sitting on the ground and not flying. I'd worry more about the paint peeling off the wings at 200mph in heavy rain if the paint adhesion is not good. :)

Don't know where it goes for sure, but I have flown in the rain with my snorkle equiped 0-360. The engine ran fine and the paint stayed on. I think the prop slaps the water away and it doesn't get in :p .

Roberta :)

Wow

I would not have thought you could inject water into the cylinders and still support combustion, but I guess you can. I wonder at what fuel/air/water ratio it would need to get to so that it would NOT support combustion (extinguish the engine)?

Water does not make Horsepower.....

hecilopter said:
I would not have thought you could inject water into the cylinders and still support combustion, but I guess you can. I wonder at what fuel/air/water ratio it would need to get to so that it would NOT support combustion (extinguish the engine)?

Water injection does not make horsepower, it will only help to prevent or surpress detonation in high compression engines or extreme conditions, to much ignition timing, low octane fuel, etc..... Hince, saving the pistons/rings/brgs, crank,,,,etc. from damage,,,, Race stuff only! Don't need to worry about it unless your running to the max in race conditions under the extreme conditions with turbos, high boost, very high compression. WATER INJECTION DOES NOT MAKE HP,,, IT SAVES PARTS FROM Departing the engine.

Last edited: