LarryT

Well Known Member
Do all US Navy officers have the opportunity to get some flight training?

Thursday was a big day. My son was notified that he got into his first choice of medical school, Western University College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Pomona, CA) and equally important, he has been awarded a US Navy medical college scholarship. Brett told me he would be going to the Navy Officers' Training School in Rhode Island next summer (2011).

Some of our greatest father-son memories are times we spent flying together. Can someone enlighten me about the availability of flight training for him? Obviously, the Navy has made a commitment to him and he has made one to them to be a Navy doctor (Flight Surgeons I think they call them), but it would be icing on the cake if he had the chance to spend recreational time with basic flight training.

LarryT

Do all US Navy officers have the opportunity to get some flight training?

Thursday was a big day. My son was notified that he got into his first choice of medical school, Western University College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Pomona, CA) and equally important, he has been awarded a US Navy medical college scholarship. Brett told me he would be going to the Navy Officers' Training School in Rhode Island next summer (2011).

Some of our greatest father-son memories are times we spent flying together. Can someone enlighten me about the availability of flight training for him? Obviously, the Navy has made a commitment to him and he has made one to them to be a Navy doctor (Flight Surgeons I think they call them), but it would be icing on the cake if he had the chance to spend recreational time with basic flight training.

LarryT

No they do not. Only a select few have the opportunity.

First and foremost thank him from me for his service to our country.

He certainly could get training during liberty (time off). Some bases have flight clubs & schools at very reduced rates as recreation for service members. There are many opportunities available to him, all he has to do is take advantange of them.

Not an officer, I worked for a living. ;)

Last edited:
It Depends - and it's changing

Larry:
First, congratulations. Our eldest daughter is currently serving her second assignment as a Naval Flight Surgeon (Served initially with VP-45 at JAX and now attached to Marine Air Wing in Okinawa). Daughter #2 is married to a career soldier who just returned from a year in the Korengal Valley. There are several paths available to your son:
1. He may be able to apply for and secure a residency before going active duty. Upon completion, he would enter active duty and then begin his 4 year "payback".
2. He could complete medical school, go active, and complete his internship while in the Navy. After the internship, he could:
a. Serve as a GMO (general medical officer) to complete his payback
b. Apply for a residency in the Navy and upon completion of that, serve as a doc under that speciality, but owe 4 years for medical school + the time required for the residency (they don't consider residency payback time).
3. After internship, apply for training as a "Dive Doctor" or "Flight Surgeon". The latter involves flight medicine training at the Navy's facility in Pensacola. During this same time, flight surgeon candidates are also put through an initial flight training cycle in both fixed and rotary wing. I believe Leah ended up with around 30-35 hours of flight time plus the required ground school. They don't get to solo and their flight training is terminated. The Navy doesn't want to risk their "investments" hurting themselves. After completion of flight medicine, they bid for the type of flight group they'd like to be assigned to. They can complete their duty as a flight surgeon and, they draw flight pay as "crew" as they are required to maintain "active" flight status. In my daughter's case, she has extended into a second rotation in hopes of securing a highly specialized residency down the road. Originally, she though of four years and out, now she's considering a long term career. If your son would like to communicate directly with her, please send me a PM and I'll forward her e-mail. I believe she's also now looking into private flight training at the club at Kadena.
Good Luck,
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Flight surgeons

were in some of my flight training classes. They had the opportunity to solo in primary (T-34's) and some went to Basic (T-28's). Of course this was back in the 60's.
Each Marine Squadron had it's own flight surgeon and it was nice to know that they had stick time. It would be a shame if the New Military did away with this.

Our flight surgeons get "rides" in all our dual crew station aircraft. They have office hours at the squadron as well.

like Bob said...

...the same was true when I was on active duty circa 80's and 90's. *Flight Surgeons attended primary and most were able to solo- T-34c's. And likewise, in our S-3 squadron, our "qwack" (an affectionate and loving title) was often thrown in the cockpit for some stick time. CJ was a GREAT Doc. He also flew regularly in the local base flying club. [Although now I understand the flying clubs are dwindling due, at least in part to cost prohibitive liability requirements, self-imposed by the Navy].

But as Terry basically said *"it's changing". Programs come and go... and come and go. Economics, supply-and-demand; and reactions to mishaps will keep it dynamic.*
Larry, I am excited for your son. What an exciting time to have so much ahead to look forward to. You'll be swelling with pride on many occasions.*

And interestingly, I've know several former Naval Aviators who became Navy Doctors. Landing on boats is cool and all, but not necessarily conducive for later successes in life. *Heck, not conducive to long life either.*

Congrats Larry. Plenty of pride filled smiles ahead I'm sure!

Bryan

(I still need the qwack's signature every six months).

#er

And interestingly, I've know several former Naval Aviators who became Navy Doctors. Landing on boats is cool and all, but not necessarily conducive for later successes in life. *Heck, not conducive to long life either.*

#er

#er, do you know if they got out of the military and went to med school or did they get released from their Flight School obligation after a few years and picked up for Bethesda Naval med school as a career changing move? My son is happens to be wondering those types of questions so this thread is very interesting. Any other tid bits let me know!

Thank you all..

... for your posts.

Yes my wife and I are proud and happy for our son. This is not something anyone (especially his 9th grade biology teacher) would have predicted. We always knew he had lots of horsepower, but through his high school years there was never much evidence of a rudder. When he started college his "major" was basketball and I prayed tht he was good enough to play all four years because I knew he would get a degree by osmosis :)

It has really been a button-busting year for Mom and Dad - our daughter graduated high school as valedictorian.

LarryT

Larry,
I cannot comment about the Navy's policies on letting their Flight Surgeons fly, but I can comment about a family member going to Med School.
My wife is now a 3rd year resident, and I know the dedication that it takes to not only complete Med School, but just to get accepted! My hearty congratulations to you and your bride, and especially to your son!