NYTOM

Well Known Member
I'm sure this may seem a little naive to you guys but on a 10A do the figures appear on the screen for options not used? Say if your not using the AOA option does the little green/yellow/red indicator appear or is it just not there?

You have the option to turn off icons/features you dont want to show on the screen so you dont have to see the things you dont use.

I believe with the -10A the only thing you can't turn off is the blue and green of the artificial horizon.

You have the option to turn off icons/features you dont want to show on the screen so you dont have to see the things you dont use.
Thanks Tom
Just what I was hoping for. I think I'm going to go ahead and dip my feet into the glass panel pool and I'm trying to integrate the stuff I already have. There was no such thing as glass panels when I drove my first rivet back in the last century. At least not for us experimental guys.

welcome to the glass panel club

Tom:

I have 120 hours on the Dynon and I'm still learning. It's a quantum leap from the 1970 Cessna 150 I trained on but there's no turning back & I wouldn't want to.

Before, I could only guess which way the wind was blowing. Now, with the computer taking measurements every second, I know the best direction to point the nose before I practice stalls.

Before, I could only guess by a rough running engine if vapor lock was about to occur. Now, a device measures, reports, and alarms as the situation grows imminent.

And for 1500 bucks I can add an A/P, fly hands free, and attend to a million other duties required by a conscientious PIC.

If I were a young man looking for a career, I would specialize in integrating this hi tech stuff into a zillion older airplanes who are going to demand this technology as the words gets out.

Barry
Tucson

GPS coupling to determine wind direction & velocity

What??????

Larry: I'm not sure what your question was but coupled to my Lowrance GPS, the Dynon will provide wind speed and direction. It's a great feature that I find very helpful given the extraordinary gusts we've been experiencing the last few weeks. Whereas our local airport tries to keep landing aircraft abreast of current wind conditions, it doesn't come close to this feature.

Here's a photo I took yesterday when conditions were calm. At the lower right, you'll see the wind representation.

winddirection.jpg

Concerning the stall, that day was particularly gusty and turbulent. Therefore, I chose to minimize the unsettling disturbance that a sudden gust would have by facing the airplane into the expected direction.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You guys are helping me write a check!

Barry could the 10A be coupled to a Garmin 496 also?
I just can't believe all the things it will do.

...Concerning the stall, that day was particularly gusty and turbulent. Therefore, I chose to minimize the unsettling disturbance that a sudden gust would have by facing the airplane into the expected direction.

Thanks.
I just can't figure out what effect the wind would have on a stall, one direction or another, if you are high enough to practice stalls.

I just can't figure out what effect the wind would have on a stall, one direction or another, if you are high enough to practice stalls.

Have you ever done stalls or even slow flight when it's seriously gusty out? It gets a little sporty. But yeah, I don't know that the direction makes all that much of a difference.

I love approaches where the gusts and turbulence are good enough to buzz the stall horn and are dropping wings 40 degrees..even when you're carrying the gust factor.

Awsome

I have my D10A coupled to my Garmin 495. Just one wire.

Mel the more I understand about the 10A , the more convinced I am that I have to have one in my panel. Not blowing any smoke here but if you have one they must be good. It's just getting over the fact that the little magic instrument costs more than my first new car.:eek:

Mel the more I understand about the 10A , the more convinced I am that I have to have one in my panel. Not blowing any smoke here but if you have one they must be good. It's just getting over the fact that the little magic instrument costs more than my first new car.:eek:

Tom, if the mission profile of your plane doesn't require much in the way of backup instruments (VFR), the price of the D10-A is very reasonable once you deduct the cost of the conventional instruments you won't be installing and consider the features you are gaining.

I had an electric AI that didn't like acro. It was taking it longer and longer to recover. I replaced it with the Dynon D10 (later upgraded to the D10A) for not much more than an overhaul of the AI. Same weight, same hole, all solid state. I've never regretted it.
It's funny in that when the GA EFIS' started coming out, I poo-pooed them saying that the old round instruments had been working for decades. As it turns out, I was the first one in the Chapter to have one.

Last edited:
I REALLY like the idea of the D10A. It's light, and it replaces a plethora of otherwise mechanical instruments and with the OAT it'll display TAS. It also can act as an encoder to your transponder, so deduct that cost as well from a 6 pack.

I'm really thinking my panel will be a D10A and their D10EMS stacked right in the middle.

It's funny in that when the GA EFIS' started coming out, I poo-pooed them saying that the old round instruments had been working for decades./QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly Mel. I'm thinking I can sell the attitude indicator. directional gyro and the new vacuum pump on EBay and save some weight.
I'm only going to fly day/ night VFR but I'm a strong believer in having a little help and backup if you happen get into some unforeseen weather problems. It happens.