CDBridgesRV7A

Good Day Folks,

I was wondering if there is a Canadian tool supplier that has a Vans RV Kit Tool package, much the same as Avery's?

If not did you have to pay customs and duty on your tool package and if so how much? What was the delivery time to Canada, and how much was shipping?

I'm located in Berwick, Nova Scotia.

I'm ordering my empennage kit this weekend (so it arrives just as I'm getting home from overseas). I'm thinking of ordering the tools as well however, I'm looking at all my options so as to keep the cost down to a minimum.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

I don't know of a tool supplier in Canada other than Aircraft Spruce (Canada).

If shipping to Canada (from the US) you will pay broker fees (don't ask me how much cause I never do it anymore, but it can get up there depending on which shipping company you use) and sales tax no matter how they come across the border. I don't know what the sales tax is where you live but it may depend on the tax rate where they actually cross. Again, check with whoever you ship with.

My advice to save on shipping cost is A) order as much as possible on each order to minimize the number of orders you have to make, and B) If it's not too inconvenient, ship it to a reciever on the US side (there should be one in the nearest border town) and pick up the packages in person and cross them yourself. Be sure to have all your receipts in order and totalled before you get to the border. This way you can order from multiple vendors, pick them all up together on the US side and cross them all at once.

Bevan

Another option that not many people think of is to have things shipped vis USPS. Not UPS, they'll still charge you an arm and a leg for brokerage. But USPS does not. When it gets to Canada, Canada Post takes over. No brokerage there either, just PST/GST(or HST) and a $5 handling charge. With the dollar at par, it makes a heck of a lot of sense to buy in the US now.

Hey Chris

Another valley boy! I grew up in Kingston, just down the road from you.

You're a LONG way from a border crossing so having something shipped there just to save on brokerage and the like isn't going to work. As said earlier, if you can convince Avery/Cleaveland/Brown to ship USPS, that is the way to go. The worst for brokerage (in my experience) is UPS. I won't order from a company if they insist on shipping UPS. If it has to go by courier, I always ask for Fedex.

If you haven't already, you might want to join the local EAA chapter. It didn't exist when I lived there (just the one out at Stanley), but I think they have their meetings in your neighbourhood. I'm not sure of the chapter number, but 1051 rings a bell. There may be tools for sale in that chapter, or they may know of someone selling tools in the province.

Good luck on the build and maybe we'll meet up at Stanley for their fly-in if I can ever find the time to get down there on the labour day weekend.

Cheers

Hey Chris

Another valley boy! I grew up in Kingston, just down the road from you.

You're a LONG way from a border crossing so having something shipped there just to save on brokerage and the like isn't going to work. As said earlier, if you can convince Avery/Cleaveland/Brown to ship USPS, that is the way to go. The worst for brokerage (in my experience) is UPS. I won't order from a company if they insist on shipping UPS. If it has to go by courier, I always ask for Fedex.

If you haven't already, you might want to join the local EAA chapter. It didn't exist when I lived there (just the one out at Stanley), but I think they have their meetings in your neighbourhood. I'm not sure of the chapter number, but 1051 rings a bell. There may be tools for sale in that chapter, or they may know of someone selling tools in the province.

Good luck on the build and maybe we'll meet up at Stanley for their fly-in if I can ever find the time to get down there on the labour day weekend.

Cheers

I had used a US Freight Forwarder for many years until we moved to Victoria. Not wanting to use the standard Fedex/UPS shipping, which tends to be expensive and complicated, I found another solution.

This may also apply to your situation.

At CYYJ, there are shipping companies that deal with the US Freight Forwarders. In this case, the same one that I used to deal with directly. These companies pick up 3 times per week and bring the packages to CYYJ, where I pick up the paperwork, walk over to customs and pay the taxes, then walk back to get my package.

There is a flat rate of $17 (incl tax) + a weight charge for larger items.

So, check around or call one of the US Freight Forwarders nearest to you to see if they have a local agent.

Vern

For the big stuff find a broker and get an account. In my experience it has not been expensive. As noted before for small stuff USPS is ok but can take a while. FedEx is not bad as their brokerage fees are not out of line.
DO NOT USE UPS!!!

I am probably still all for parcel post shipping. I ordered most of the smaller items For our RV-10 to be shipped via parcel post. We lost two shipments, thankfully the vendors went good for them. Our seat belts, had a UK address on them, so (I think) that explaines that lost, and a shipment from Aerosport Products went astray for some reason. We had many shipments over the last two years so it's not that bad of a reccord. Had we experienced the loss ourselves I would probably have a different opinion. Thanks again suppliers.
As for brokerage fees, I wish someone could explain how they are determined. It has nothing to do with weight, size cost etc. You can have two exact items arrive at different times and totally different invoice amounts. My best guess is they charge enough to cover there the months opperating expenses. If they need a new computer this month charge more to clear this month's shipments.
One thing for sure, address the brokerage charge before agreeing to a broker. If the brokerage invoice is only addressed when the package is being delivered,you'll pay thru the nose.
Ron

Another option - Self Broker

I have had one supplier that would only send to me via Fedex or UPS (it was an item repair). I chose Fedex, and once the item shipped I called Fedex saying I wanted to self broker. (you can have the shipper declare you as the broker as well).

All I had to do was go to (in my case) their Ottawa airport office and pickup the paperwork. Crossed the street to customs and paid my money for which they then clear my shipment.G o back to Fedex and pickup the package. Fifteen minutes at the most.

No brokerage fee.... other than your time and a little travel. Carrying the paperwork back and forth saved me maybe $50. Well worth giving Fedex and/or other carriers a call to see if they have their customs depot located close to you (usually an airport).

I did that with the kit shipments, well worth the trouble. Make sure customes knows this is for personal use not your business.
Ron

Self Broker - slightly off topic.

I self brokered my wing shipment and then my fuselage/finish shipment a couple of years later. Both shipments were held in bond by the trucking company in their warehouse at Peace Arch border crossing. Got the paperwork from the trucking company, waited (and waited...) at customs, did the declaration, returned paperwork to the trucking company who delivered the following day.

Found customs officials extremely unhelpful and officious. Let's see, do you work for me or do I work for you?

First thing you need is a Business Number (no, this isn't your business phone number). You can get one of these via a separate process at the customs office, or maybe online. This sets you up to self broker.

Next thing you need is lots of patience, and don't let them intimidate you. Let's see, they have a uniform, a radio, a baton, and is that a gun...? What's not to intimidate? Anyway, persevere and you will waste half a day and save yourself some money. My experience at Vancouver Airport clearing parts for a different project many years before was actually pleasant in comparison, so I guess it depends on the personalities of the customs agents.

I did not find the officers intimadating, mine were very helpful after they understood this was for a hobby. I did have one situation years back when I was building a SuperCub and drove 3 hrs to the international airport to pick up my struts. They were to originally be shipped directly to my door (changed my mind as I did not want to risk having them bent). I had my business address to simplify delivery. The lady at the counter kept saying I must clear these in the city, (not at customs in airport) and I kept arguing with her that my business broker had informed me that my struts could be cleared at the airport. I did not realize she was only looking at the shipping address and finally she said that they could only clear personal shipments in her office, which she did after the matter was cleared up.
Ron