pierre smith

Well Known Member
Cellphone use is and has been a big topic of concern regarding them being distractions...especially while driving.

When you guys...the A@P's and IA's on here are assembling an engine or doing a complicated bit of airframe work, like the Bonanza that was wrongly repaired on one of yesterday's posts, what do you do with your cellphone? Vibrate or off, or not even on your person?

I have been concerned about their effect on your paying attention to details, like not forgetting to put the gasket on the oil pump pickup tube and other demanding pieces of precise work.

Thanks,

Cellphone use is and has been a big topic of concern regarding them being distractions...especially while driving.

When you guys...the A@P's and IA's on here are assembling an engine or doing a complicated bit of airframe work, like the Bonanza that was wrongly repaired on one of yesterday's posts, what do you do with your cellphone? Vibrate or off, or not even on your person?

I have been concerned about their effect on your paying attention to details, like not forgetting to put the gasket on the oil pump pickup tube and other demanding pieces of precise work.

Thanks,

Pierre,
Let me just say up front... I HATE CELL PHONES !!!! (I still carry one of the old models with no texting).

When I used to supervise aircraft mechanics I was constantly telling people to get off the phone. It is a saftey issue both personally and a huge distraction to effectively performing even a simple task, no less a complex one. Unfortunately other than constant "policing" there was not much you could do to eliminate it.

Personally when my phone rings I just hit the one of the side buttons to mute it or just don't answer it if I'm busy. Many times I just leave it on the tool box because its in my way anyway when crawling around an aircraft.

I used to have a boss that would start texting (blackberry crack addict) in the middle of a conversation, it would drive me NUTS. I learned a valuable lesson from that, I rarely answer my phone during a conversation because it is so rude.

Just "step away from phone" while working and driving.

Unless I am waiting for a phone call, my ringer is OFF. Email works best as I can answer it when it is convenient.

I used to have a boss that would start texting (blackberry crack addict) in the middle of a conversation, it would drive me NUTS. I learned a valuable lesson from that, I rarely answer my phone during a conversation because it is so rude.

When people do that to me, I stop talking and walk away. I'd like to think I'm training that habit out of them, but probably not.

99% of the time

my phone is on vibrate and usually im not carrying it. If im working on something that requires complete concentration or time sensitive I also lock the hanger door to avoid interuptions. I used to turn off the radio but I dont anymore, my wife says I cant hear it anyway:rolleyes:

As an A&P, As a PIC and as when working with a customer! NO....

Yesterday i got a call from a friend who is working with a CFII for the next 20 hours due to insurance req's on his new PA32-301T (turbo Saratoga) During the first day of flying and Grd School (2 hours) the CFII (45 years old) spent a total of 40 minutes on multiple phone calls interrupitng his ground school....nevertheless....CFII got his fees -40 minutes spent on the phone and was placed on warning notice if he does it again, he is gone! CFII was astonished to have gotten reprimended...

As an A&P, As a PIC and as when working with a customer! NO....

Yesterday i got a call from a friend who is working with a CFII for the next 20 hours due to insurance req's on his new PA32-301T (turbo Saratoga) During the first day of flying and Grd School (2 hours) the CFII (45 years old) spent a total of 40 minutes on multiple phone calls interrupitng his ground school....nevertheless....CFII got his fees -40 minutes spent on the phone and was placed on warning notice if he does it again, he is gone! CFII was astonished to have gotten reprimended...

I am like Walt, I hate cell phones. The behavior of this CFII in my opinion was totally unacceptable, downright rude and showed that he did not care if he got his ground school message across. He would be toast if I was running that particular school.

we used to make fun of all the Crackberry addicts.......now days it is hard not to make fun of anyone addicted to his/her phone!

All the A&P and IA I deal with on the daily basis are very concious about this situation!

You could look at it this way. If you're working on a pay job, then answering that phone will cost you money. Aside from the risk from distraction, it interrupts your flow, mechanical and mental. If your billing practice is ethical, you shouldn't be charging customers for "lost" time. Bottom line: Answering the phone be costin' somebody somethin'.

One thing being introduced where I work is a very simple concept, but I was struck by how hard it can be to actually do consistently. With the typical, crazy, multi-tasking environment we're in, we're being encouraged to try to do this at work as well as in our personal lives.

It's captured by three simple words: Be Here Now.

One thing being introduced where I work is a very simple concept, but I was struck by how hard it can be to actually do consistently. With the typical, crazy, multi-tasking environment we're in, we're being encouraged to try to do this at work as well as in our personal lives.

It's captured by three simple words: Be Here Now.

The great Baba Ram Dass would be proud :)

cell phone

I really wish I could turn it off but it must always be answered. I have been at the hangar many times and had to stop and spend the next two hours on the phone. Hey Walt, was it Troy?

Pat

49clipper

I set it on the bench or toolbox and never answer until I finish doing whatever I am working on. Most times, I forget it till much later in the day.
Jim

Thanks everybody.

I'm also with the "I control it and not vice versa" crowd.

Courtesy extends to lunch with friends and family and it's either off or vibrate and I don't answer it then.

When I'm on a spray job, it's ignored....I'm 'task-loaded' enough, without the d**n phone to mess with.

Best,

My iPhone is also my shop radio. I stream music off internet radio stations while I'm working. If I have to answer the phone, my music stops.

So I don't do it! :D