MrNomad

Well Known Member
One of the partners to the 6A we're building is a student pilot. All of his training has been on a Cessna 150, but concerning student pilots in general, is it legal for a student pilot to solo before he takes his written test?

I know that it's not logical. That the prep for the written conveys a lot of information the student pilot SHOULD have before solo. The question is, is it legal for a CFI to solo a student before he passes his written?

Thanks.

One of the partners to the 6A we're building is a student pilot. All of his training has been on a Cessna 150, but concerning student pilots in general, is it legal for a student pilot to solo before he takes his written test?

I know that it's not logical. That the prep for the written conveys a lot of information the student pilot SHOULD have before solo. The question is, is it legal for a CFI to solo a student before he passes his written?

Thanks.

Not a CFI, but considering I just finished my training a couple years ago its fresh in my mind. Absolutely it is legal, quite common and desirable in my opinion. The more practical knowledge you can get in the cockpit before taking the test, the better you'll do. Also, if you wait til just before your check ride & oral, it is still fresh.

Yes

Yes you can solo without taking the FAA written exam. It is required to give a pre-solo exam before solo. It is usually of the instructors making, generally covering airspace, emergencies, communication requirements, stuff like that and is usually a written exam. It's not pass or fail, but all
areas are discussed afterwards to make sure the stu is up to speed on
what's required of him as PIC. Then there is an instructor endorsement for the pre-solo exam.

§ 61.87 Solo requirements for student pilots.
(a) General. A student pilot may not operate an aircraft in solo flight unless that student has met the requirements of this section. The term “solo flight” as used in this subpart means that flight time during which a student pilot is the sole occupant of the aircraft or that flight time during which the student performs the duties of a pilot in command of a gas balloon or an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember.

(b) Aeronautical knowledge. A student pilot must demonstrate satisfactory aeronautical knowledge on a knowledge test that meets the requirements of this paragraph:

(1) The test must address the student pilot's knowledge of—

(i) Applicable sections of parts 61 and 91 of this chapter;

(ii) Airspace rules and procedures for the airport where the solo flight will be performed; and

(iii) Flight characteristics and operational limitations for the make and model of aircraft to be flown.

(2) The student's authorized instructor must—

(i) Administer the test; and

(ii) At the conclusion of the test, review all incorrect answers with the student before authorizing that student to conduct a solo flight.

Last edited:
Barry, you'll also find...

...that some flight schools require their students to pass the PPL written test before they allow solo XC flights, since they are, in fact, now sharing the airspace with others and need to know how best to fit in the system.

I did a 368 mile XC from Ga. to N.C. and back, yesterday, with a student, in his personal Cirrus 20. Center and Approach all were used for flight following with good results,

Best,

if you're doing it 141 you have to take a pre-solo /stage 1 written test

also most insurance carriers require *any* pilot, student, private, etc to do a written sheet containing emergency procedures, weights, performance figures, etc

but the FAA written, nope!