Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I have focused quite a bit of time on drag reduction on our RV-6A over the past few years but except for removing the tail tiedown ring it has been focused on the front half of the plane. My winter project this year will be some obvious areas on the tail. After hearing a speed gain figure from drag reduction efforts in this area by John Huft I can't ignore it anymore. I have worked some preliminary fixes in my head but the 2008 AirVenture Cup Race is a week and a half from now and I want to get every improvement I can before then. I have found a pattern of tape applications that I think will be effective and I'm going to apply them. Looking forward to removing them I know this will leave a mess. My question is what have you used for duct tape residue removal and what were the results/effects.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Get a little gas on a rag from the quick drain. Kinda like a built in solvent dispenser.

If you have a lot to do get the adhesive remover from 3M. Any autobody supply place has it, works great.

Try Goo Gone. It is an orange solvent product that you should be able to find in your grocery store. Works well on plexi also. Won't harm paint or plexi

you want gaffer's tape

I have focused quite a bit of time on drag reduction on our RV-6A over the past few years but except for removing the tail tiedown ring it has been focused on the front half of the plane. My winter project this year will be some obvious areas on the tail. After hearing a speed gain figure from drag reduction efforts in this area by John Huft I can't ignore it anymore. I have wirked some preliminary fixes but the 2008 AirVenture Cup Race is a week and a half from now and I want to get every improvement I can berfore then. I have found a pattern of tape applications that I think will be effective and I'm going to apply them. Looking forward to removing them I know this will leave a mess. My question is what have you used for duct tape residue removal and what were the results/effects.

Bob Axsom

Go to a good photography store and get a roll of gaffer's tape. This product is used in the movie/video industry to attach nearly any piece of equipment to nearly anything. It is strong adhesive on a black cloth backing but its real value is that it leaves no residue. It cost quite a bit more than duct tape but is a first-rate product.

duct tape

Good for many things-- it also works well at removing duct tape residue. Rub it over the old adhesive residue and peel it off.

professional tape removal stuff

Gaffers tape is the stuff, but hard to find. Us auto pros use a product from Kent chemical known as Acrisol. Wont hurt plastics or paint, and is an adhesive solvent that works much better than the 3M stuff. Military uses it to clean goo from aircraft canopies I am told. Cleans upholstery and carpets well. I have used it as a lubricant to hone engine cylinders for years. You will love it.

2 cents...Chris

WD-40

WD-40 will remove that residue without having an effect on the paint.

Easy cleanup with soap and water....

Go to a good photography store and get a roll of gaffer's tape. This product is used in the movie/video industry to attach nearly any piece of equipment to nearly anything. It is strong adhesive on a black cloth backing but its real value is that it leaves no residue. It cost quite a bit more than duct tape but is a first-rate product.

Gaffers tape is the stuff, but hard to find. .Chris

Gaffers tape for those who want the best for taping stuff to their plane with no residue:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/TA7002/

Also in white:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/TA7022/

I'm with Sam on the gaffers tape. I go through it like crazy at work. I have rolls all over the house, it's the best tape ever. I prefer the Pemacell brand, which I think has changed hands recently. You can get it in many colors if it's something you want to race with.

http://www.thetapeworks.com/gaffer.htm

As far as getting residue off. Naptha works great and it's safe for your paint and the canopy. You can buy it in the paint department of just get some lighter fluid, it's just naptha in an easy to use container.

I just used some old hand cleaner - GoJo to remove old duct tape residue.. worked pretty well.

Tape Inputs

I just ordered the dark blue Gaffer's Tape then I logged on and saw a private message about Scotch Brand color tape that a pilot has been using on his Pitts for years. I suppose I will be refining tape choices now and I have less worries about getting the residue off without damaging the paint and plexiglass.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Acrysol

Gaffers tape is the stuff, but hard to find. Us auto pros use a product from Kent chemical known as Acrisol. Wont hurt plastics or paint, and is an adhesive solvent that works much better than the 3M stuff. Military uses it to clean goo from aircraft canopies I am told. Cleans upholstery and carpets well. I have used it as a lubricant to hone engine cylinders for years. You will love it.

2 cents...Chris

Dittos on Acrysol! Best stuff ever! Spelled "Acrysol", though.

I just ordered the dark blue Gaffer's Tape then I logged on and saw a private message about Scotch Brand color tape that a pilot has been using on his Pitts for years. I suppose I will be refining tape choices now and I have less worries about getting the residue off without damaging the paint and plexiglass.

Bob Axsom

We expect a full write up with detailed photos and data. :D

I really enjoy reading about your speed mods, keep it up.

OK

What we want is an encyclopedic post that lists and details every speed mod ever tried....So your thousands of hours of experimenting can simply be copied by the rest of us in maybe a few hundred.

I mean wouldn't we all like to be cruising at 250kts on 6 GPH?..:)

Frank

I Second WD 40

WD 40 is a good handy remover that will not harm the paint, have used this technique on racing fiberglass (motorcycles) in the past, also works well for just general dirt and grime, as in what a motorcycle chain slings around.

Don't use WD-40 in an area where you may want to paint in the future, even touch up. Paint won't stick to it, so my now dead father-in-law paint chemist used to say.

Naptha

12 bucks a gallon, won't hurt plexiglass, good at taking oil off before painting too.

Can also start the bbq in a pinch.

Naptha II

A cheaper source of naphtha is Coleman fuel. Works great as tape residue remover and general cleaner that's paint-safe.

Heinrich Gerhardt

Before you use solvent, try "dabbing" off as much as possible with the adhesive side of some fresh tape. I've been surprised several times how effective that is. If you can't get it all off, then go to the solvent of your choice.

More goo gone

If it gets tough, try Brake Clean from your local auto store, wont remove paint, and spray on a rag then wipe the glue away. It's the only thing that would remove wing walk glue. Works better than Goof Off.

:D

So am I safe with goo gone or naptha on my RV8 canopy plexi? I have some left over adhesive from my fiberglass layup work on the windsheild fairing. It was not duct tape, but the clear packing tape.

Any changes or new thoughts on this old thread?

Thanks, Lance