HIIFLY

Well Known Member
I am installing my Baffeling kit from Vans and it say's to leave a 3/8" to 1/2" Gap between the upper fiberglass cowling and the Alu. Baffeling attached to the engine . Is this enough Gap in the real world ??? I do not want to rub a hole in the upper cowling because I did not leave more of a Gap . Some of my airplane friends say the gap should be twice this distance . Thanks for all replies .

It sure doesn't sound like much, but it's plenty. We just used a 3/8" gap on the -3, and see no contact points after 40 hours of flying.

Baffle gap

3/8" is fine, 1/2" is plenty. The paper clip trick is a great way to judge that. The most common problem location I've seen are the top rear corners. That matting flange tends to need to be trimmed down quite a bit.

Front baffle

I've been trying to isolate a bad engine vib and am wondering if anyones tried flying without the forward baffle behind the spinner? Did it have a big effect on temps? RV6/O320.

Thanks
Pat

I used paperclips for a 7/16 gap and wish I'd done more (at least in the corners). I ended up with some hair line cracks in the cowl where the rear corners hit. The IO-360 shakes like a wet dog!

Last edited:
I've been trying to isolate a bad engine vib and am wondering if anyones tried flying without the forward baffle behind the spinner? Did it have a big effect on temps? RV6/O320.

Thanks
Pat

That forward baffle keeps the air from spillng out behind the prop!! You'd have serious cooling issue.
Is this vibration something new? Could be exhaust pipes or baffle framework vibrating on cowl. Cracked engine mount. Cyllinder not firing.

Last edited:
Engine Vibs

Good mag checks, good compression, new prop. Suspect baffle/cowl interference. Need to push down of upper cowl significantly to join upper/lower cowls.

Thanks
Pat

Paper Clip Trick

I used the Paper Clip Trick and I must say it works very well ! :).
Right now I am at 3/8 to 1/2 inch of clearence , I am going to trim the 3/8 parts to equal the 1/2 " and call it ready to put the seal on it .

Thanks to All who replied . BTW I hope to be flying this summer . I am really Close . So I have been told . LOL. /////// J.R.