Toobuilder

Well Known Member
I?m trying to get my GTN650 box to talk to my Dynon D10A and I?m obviously not as smart as I thought. Couple of questions: Looking through the D10 installation manual there is often reference to serial inputs from ?a GPS? and/or an ?SL30?. I?m assuming that ?a GPS? means a handheld like a GPS396? The ?SL30? reference refers to the Garmin Nav radio and will look for VOR/ILS data? Then, to top it all off, they treat the G430/530 box as something different altogether. It?s confusing to me.

To cut to the chase, I want my D10 HSI page (and by extension, the autopilot) to follow my GPS flight plan, VOR/ILS, or raw GPS data from my GTN650 box. I simply want the 650 to fly the airplane, whether in GPS, or VOR mode. The D10A installation manual speaks of feeding discrete inputs into pin 22 and using a toggle switch between ?GPS? and ?NAV? data? how do I do this with a single output from the 650? Will the D10 ?know? the difference between VOR, ILS and GPS output if I use the single serial out from the 650?

Also keep in mind that I don?t plan on installing the HS34 or AP74 modules? I?ll be upgrading to Skyview in the future and don?t need to make the investment.

Thanks!

The RS-232 outputs from the GTN650:

Aviation Output 1:

Serial position, GPS altitude, velocity, and navigation
data

Aviation Output 2:

Serial position, velocity, and navigation data

I believe that you are only going to be able to get the ILS/VOR functionality with an ARNIC interface.

The question then becomes does the D10 support either of these data formats. Hopefully it supports more than just NEMA. Since I don't have one, I can't help much more.

I would think that Dynon tech support should be able to assist you with that question.

Unfortunate indeed.

So, can I at least get the Dynon to follow the 650's GPS flight plan without an HS34?

Yes but it will not autoscale the CDI and it will not do GPS steering/turn anticipation as well as a few more of the fancy things that can only happen over the ARINC interface. No VOR/LOC/GS. It will basically be limited to the same stuff you can have if you were to connect a typical portable GPS to the D10A.

I got my D10A to display the course on the CDI by running the serial gps out from the 650 to pin 22 on the D10A. I didn't have the A/P hooked to the D10A so I can' help you there, but they do talk GPS..

OK, after looking at it a little closer, I see that's really the only solution. Port one of the 650's serial outputs in Aviation 1 format into pin 22 on the Dynon. If the bug follows the flight plan, then the servos should too. If I want to add another GPS like a X96, then I need a mechanical switch.

I thought the D10A was more capable as an autopilot, but I can live with it.

Last edited: