Gillegan

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm currently in the dreaming/planning phase. Are there any restrictions on performing my own maintenance if I buy an airplane (completed or partially built) vs. building one from the ground up? Thanks.

If you buy you can do any maintenance you want, but you will have to have an A&P sign off on the anual condition inspection.

Just to add to Keith's post.....

You can also legally do any repairs and/or modifications yourself.
Many times, this may not be prudent. But certainly legal on an experimental amateur-built or experimental light-sport aircraft.
Just remember that any work you do will be looked at, evaluated and must be accepted by the person performing the next condition inspection.

"I'm a Buyer not a Builder."

I do a lot of things on my RV-8. I installed my autopilot. I've changed the wheels to 380's. I added fuel flow monitor. I am now doing a full panel replace and engine monitor.

I have a good working relationship with the A&P who performs the annual condition inspection. I let him know what project I am tackling and he is happy to discuss my plan and then check my work.

I'm not required to engage an A&P on my work but it's good to have a seasoned set of eyes "look over my shoulder". Besides, as Mel said, the A&P will see it at the condition.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm currently in the dreaming/planning phase.

Yeah, well... be careful with that. This place is a bad influence. I went from "dreaming" to "planning" almost right off the bat, and then blew my "plan" right out of the water about two years ahead of schedule and am now in the building stage!

:D

The answer to your question about buying a partially finished kit is maybe. To get the repairman's certificate, which is what you need to do the annual condition inspection yourself, you need to convince your FSDO that you built a substantial portion of the plane, so you have the necessary knowledge and skill.
Every FSDO seems to have its own interpretation of what that means.