idleup

Well Known Member
I am preparing to mate the wings on my RV-7A. I was wondering if the bottom skins of the wings need to be riveted on before I do this or not. I have postponed riveting them until the last possible minute since I have not decided on avionics, antennas, etc. that will be in the wing. However, I know that during the wing fitting stage you are checking twist and other items that could be affected by the final riveting of the wing skins. So should I complete the riveting before doing my wing mating or should I just leave it cleco'ed on?

- Matt

idleup said:
So should I complete the riveting before doing my wing mating or should I just leave it cleco'ed on?

I'd rivet it on first - you want the wing 100% stiff before drilling that aft spar hole. You also want to be able to mark and drill the bottom wing skin to fuse nutplate holes when you mate your wing for drilling.

Go Ahead

The wings are 100% stiff with the L.E. skin and one of the main skins riveted on. What you are proposing is done all the time and it makes it much easier to do final rigging adjustmenta on the aileron control system.

Last edited: