twisted-wrench

I'm getting an engine built and I'm wondering about the value of Ney nozzles.

The only thing against them that I've heard is that they don't spray if the oil is below 70 degrees F.

Would you or wouldn't you? Would it make a difference in what you would pay for an airplane?

Thanks

It wouldn't make or break a sale, IMO, but its just a bit more cooling that might help the engine go past TBO. Don't know what they cost, but unless its a huge difference, I would get them (I have them on my engine).

Greg

Ney

I don't understand why they wouldn't pump oil at 50 degrees, sounds like information from one of those "experts".
They help save your camshaft on startup, I wouldn't base a sale on them though.

Last edited:
I would get them! You can't do enough to cool and lubricate the cam and tappets. It's weak spot in the engine and they will help overcome that weakness. All up side..no downside. Why not?
Good Luck and Merry Christmas,
Mahlon

Nye nozzles

I went thru this, ended up letting Chuck install them. I can't attest to any improvement after only 140 hrs, however having assembled the engine and seeing how they work I can't imagine how they would not spray at any temp the oil flows.
All they are are 2 small brass plugs drilled and tapped into the oil galley. Each has two small holes aimed (I hope) at the camshaft lobes. I have my doubts they actually hit the cam in the sweet spot unless the system is flowed somehow and aimed at the time they are installed, or some special jig is used, something I have doubts about.
Some possible drawbacks are increased oil consumption. Bart at Aerosport suggested he had seen some evidence of this. I burn ~1qt/10 hrs, not bad but I wonder if it might be better without the nozzles.
Bart also suggested parkerizing the cam instead as an option, he said either option was a good way to add some life span to the cam/tappets.
Tim