[email protected]

Well Known Member
Question about wing attach bolts. I am installing the wing on my RV6A, all of the close tol. bolts when in well (did not need to drive them in just tap with plastic mallet) now I am putting in the AN3-15A,16A,and 17A,s I have been in the habit of placing a washer under both the bolt head ( feel it gives a larger bearing surface) and the nut but I am concerned that the shank does not protrude from the hole, I have plenty of threads though, approximately 4 ? 6 threads show after the nut is tightened. Knowing that the threads will not bear weight, should I leave the washers off under the bolt head and only place them under the nut, I have also been facing the bolts to the rear of the aircraft where I can, would this be correct.

Thanks all, were getting there.

Hi John:

It is my understanding that there is no need for a washer under the bolt head.

You are correct on positioning of the bolts. Place the bolt head on the forward side of the spar. I found that there were a couple of spots where I could not do that, like around the gear weldments, so I had to cheat a couple times.

Regards,

.......I have been in the habit of placing a washer under both the bolt head and the nut but I am concerned that the shank does not protrude from the hole, I have plenty of threads though............

It is okay to place a washer under the head of a bolt but not strictly necessary. However it is far more important that the threadless shank of the bolt clear or even protrude from the hole. The condition you describe would be instantly rejected by any quality control department. As far as orientation goes, generally the idea is "if" the nut came loose, the bolt would still be captured by the assembly. However it is perfectly fine and even necessary at times to orient the bolt anyway it takes to facilitate its installation.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Last edited:
Rick6a said:
...The condition you describe would be instantly rejected by any quality control department. ...
Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Except at Cessna in the '70's :)